Why I Don't Make It a Habit To Talk About These 3 Things

The three taboo topics

11
Vic Pinto

My dad is an amazing man. He’s one of the smartest people I know, dedicated, loving, yet still teaches us about tough love. My dad has a way with people. He knows how to talk to others; you can be sure that we’ll be seeing someone he knows whenever we go out. With all of the insight that he has given me in life, one of the simplest and most influential lessons that he has ever taught me is about the three topics I shouldn’t often talk about in conversation with others.

Now, that’s not to say that these will never come up in conversation. Some of the most enlightening conversations I’ve ever had with people have involved these topics. It’s just that they can also lead to bad outcomes in the wrong context. It’s good to be different. That’s how you make a difference. There’s just a certain way you should touch upon things. I always abided by this list, but never really realized the effects of it up until recently.

The three taboo topics are money, religion, and politics. Sure, they’re fun to talk about and lead to great conversations, but…

Money

My money is my money, your money is yours. I work hard, and I’m pretty sure you work hard too. There’s no reason for you to know how much I make. I try to be financially responsible. Some people don’t understand it. That part can get difficult, but when I don’t want to go out and pay for a $25 plate for myself, please don’t question it. We’re in college and the fact is that this part of life isn’t easy. The same concept of talking about money will still apply when we graduate, and when we’re grown with real jobs. The amount of money you make does not affect anyone else.

Religion

I’m a Latin-American raised in a very strong faith. My faith has helped me in the most difficult situations, when I’ve felt like there is no going back. I even went to a Catholic high school. However, I’ve had trouble with the belief that you should go out into the world and tell everyone about that goodness. People have the right to their own beliefs. It’s utopian to think that there will ever be absolute harmony. We should respect others for what they stand for.

Respect. I can’t say I don’t enjoy political conversation. One of my favorite classes in high school was AP gov, mainly because the classes would end with my classmates having (civil) debates. We were young and learning about where our beliefs lie; it was in that class that I really figured out where I stand. However, it’s not my place to judge (or ostracize) other people simply because of the person they are voting for. I love those Snapchat stories published by People, WSJ, and other organizations. Recently, someone sent me a snap of a Cosmo story, with heart eye emojis falling around a photo of Chelsea Clinton hugging her mother at the DNC. They called the photo disgusting. Quite frankly, the only disgusting thing I saw in that message was that that person was calling the love and pride a daughter has for her mother “disgusting.” Like I’ve said, people have the right to their own beliefs. Whether or not you agree with a candidate, it’s amazing that someone can raise a child and end up running for president. Those kids should be proud and give their parents a big hug. Good for them. I think people get the most fired up about politics because they affect the country we live in. They’re interesting. There’s just a productive way to approach the subject.

I know not everyone may agree with the 3 taboo topics. As I’ve grown I’ve learned more and more about people and the way that I should carry myself. This simple rule is something I’ll stick by, because it works for me. That’s what I believe.