Gun Used To Kill Trayvon Martin Is Now Up For Auction

“because white men can't police their imagination black men are dying” - Claudia Rankine
8

Update: Zimmerman's bid was seized or hijacked by trolls on the internet and was increased to $65 million. UnitedGunGroup.com tweeted Friday morning that although they are sorry for the Martin family's loss, they are a "pro 2nd Amendment Platform for law abiding citizens" and that their members have the right to do what they want as members. Although they said they had no other comment to add, they continued tweeting...

George Zimmerman is known for killing seventeen year old Trayvon Martin on February 26, 2012. Zimmerman was acquitted the following year of second-degree-murder in Florida v. George Zimmerman.

As if all that weren't bad enough...

Zimmerman is trying once again to put up for auction the firearm he used to shoot Trayvon Martin. He first put it up on GunBroker.com on Wednesday, May 11th, but the site was quick to remove it and commented to the Orlando Sentinel that they want “no part in the listing on our website or in any of the publicity it is receiving." The gun is now up on UnitedGunGroup.com for $5,000.

The 32 year-old referred to the 9mm as an "American Firearm Icon" and described it by stating, “The firearm for sale is the firearm that was used to defend my life and end the brutal attack from Trayvon Martin." Lastly. he added, “Now is your opportunity to own a piece of American history."

When interviewed by FOX 35 in Orlando, Zimmerman stated that if the gun sold, he could "move past it". When asked if he was worried about criticism, Zimmerman responded, "I couldn't care less".

According to Zimmerman, the money he receives will be used to fight against "Black Lives Matter violence against Law Enforcement Officers" and to fight Hilary Clinton's anti-firearm policies.

George Zimmerman has once again confirmed that he is a complete degenerate. When I first read about this auction, I thought it was some sort of spoof news (or whatever they're called), but of course it wasn't. I read the powerful book, Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine (this is a must-read by the way), and I found myself remembering the front cover and the part she dedicates to Trayvon Martin, labeled, "Script for Situations." Rankine and her husband developed scripts for various documentaries revolving real stories about racial violence. Here is an excerpt on the one for Trayvon Martin. This scene refers to when he was on the phone before being shot by George Zimmerman:

"If I called I’d say good-bye before I broke the good-bye. I say good-bye before anyone can hang up. Don’t hang up. My brother hangs up though he is there. I keep talking. The talk keeps him there. The sky is blue, kind of blue. The day is hot. Is it cold? Are you cold? It does get cool. Is it cool? Are you cool?

My brother is completed by sky. The sky is his silence. Eventually, he says, it is raining. It is raining down. It was raining. It stopped raining. It is raining down"

I understand the argument that he has the right to do what he wants with his possessions, but the sole fact that he is advertising the firearm in the way he is, is utterly disgusting. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that recognizing a gun that was used to kill an unarmed boy with skittles and tea in his hands as "iconic" and a piece of "American History" causes both fear and anger. Anger because this man does not even deserve to be out on the streets. And fear for the future of this nation.