A Guide To Tea

A Guide To Tea

Learn to navigate the tea world.

67
A Guide To Tea
FreySmiles

Chinese legend marks the birth of tea in 2737 BCE when the legendary Emperor Shennong was drinking boiled water and leaves from a nearby tree blew into his water. The emperor was amazed at the restorative properties tea seemed to have and it soon became a staple in Chinese culture. Although this story is likely a myth, tea and the culture around tea has spread throughout the world. Today there are five categories of teas (black, green, oolong, white, and puer) with over 3000 varieties. To the average person embarking on their first tea journey, the tea culture and varieties can become a impossible to navigate. This article is my attempt to clear some confusion.

The Five Categories of Teas

1. Black

This type of tea undergoes full oxidation, meaning that the water in the tea leaf is evaporated allowing more oxygen to enter the leaf. This causes the leaf to turn black or a deep brown giving it a stronger flavor and higher caffeine content than the other teas.

2. Green

This tea barely undergoes the oxidation process and the leaf is rapidly heated in order to keep the leaf from undergoing any more oxidation.

3. Oolong

This tea undergoes a partial oxidation and often has a fruity flavor and aroma.

4. White

White tea is known for its complexity of flavors and aromas and undergoes no oxidation. Whereas green tea slightly withers, white tea is not allowed to wither at all. It is prized for its subtle tastes.

5. Puer

Lastly, puer tea is similar to wine in which it is aged to produce new flavors.

Types of Tea

1. Loose Leaf

This is typically the preferred type of tea for taste and can be used multiple times. The process of making tea is called seeping and by varying the time the leaves are seeped, the stronger or weaker the tea is. In addition, higher quality teas can be seeped multiple times, some varieties can be seeped up to 30 times.

2. Sachet

Teas placed in a sachet are a nice mixture between the quick steep time of bags and the taste of loose leaf tea. These are often used when loose leaf tea is not feasible to make.

3. Bag

This is the cheapest type of tea someone can buy. However, with the tea leaves being ground, some of the flavor is lost and teabags usually can only be used once.

Harney and Sons is a family company started in Salisbury, Connecticut and has around 300 tea varieties available. I am partial to their Paris and Florence blends.

Private Selections is another tea company who has a partnership with Kroger, making their loose leaf tea products easier to access than many tea companies. In addition, their teas are often very affordable and come in a wide selection.

With the many varieties and flavors available, the possibilities are endless with teas. Find a particular type of tea you like and explore from there. It is often the small details or hints of flavor that make the experience truly great.