Justice as a Guide to Life
Politics

A Guide To Life: Justice

Part 2 of a 14 part series on how the virtues can guide your life.

179
A Guide To Life: Justice

*This is part of a series of articles covering virtues, and how they can help you live a better life. Part 1 can be found here.

In part one of this series, I wrote about prudence, or, knowing and doing what is good. Knowing and doing what is good is important to living a better life because it helps us avoid mistakes and make good choices, which matters because mistakes and bad choices lead to a worse life.

But life is about more than just doing what is good; it is also about doing what is right. That is why the next part of this series covers the second Cardinal virtue, Justice.

Justice is important to living a better life because it is a great way to govern your actions with other people.

So what is Justice?

Justice is essentially giving people what they deserve or what they are due, i.e. what is rightfully theirs.

To an extent, it is where the concept of the justice system comes from. In theory, the justice system is responsible for giving people what they deserve because that is what is right or just.

It's important to understand that Justice is about what is actually deserved, not what is presented as deserved. Basically, for something to actually be Justice, you have to give people what they are actually due or what is actually theirs, not what they say or others say they are due.

That can be complex because distinguishing between what the actual situation is and what the perceived situation requires us to make decisions both objectively and subjectively depending on the situation. Hence, Justice takes time to understand because knowing what is right and what people are due requires a deep understanding of oneself and others.

So how does Justice help you live a better life?

Justice helps you live a better life because it helps you govern your actions with others. If you interact with all people with the understanding that everyone deserves Justice, then you can give everyone what is rightfully theirs.

Justice and the "Golden Rule" essentially leads to the "Platinum Rule" of treating others how they want to be treated.

Don't just use Justice in the sense of judgment, but use it to guide all of your actions with others.

So how do I gain Justice?

There is no real easy way to gain the virtue of Justice. It just takes understanding what people's rights are and what they are owed, and practicing giving others those things.

It takes time to gain this virtue, but you will know when you have it.

So a quick recap of the first two Cardinal virtues: Prudence is doing what is good and Justice is doing what is right.