A 3-Step Guide For Going Back To School

A 3-Step Guide For Going Back To School

Because being an adult is hard, and actually doing homework again is harder.

9
A 3-Step Guide For Going Back To School
Chicks Flower

New quarter, new classes, new homework, new you.

Well, here you are brave traveller. You've bought new textbooks, shiny unmarked composition books, and a set of inked up pens. Your first week of classes went off without a hitch, you even like all your professors. Things seem peachy keen, and you're excited for the year ahead.

But then...your first assignment comes around. And suddenly, you're feeling a lot less enthusiastic. A month of winter shenanigans has left you well rested, perhaps even a little bit lazy. The concept of opening Google Chrome and delving back into the drudgery of online assignments is unappetizing to say the least.

Trust me, I get it.

I've been staring at my biology homework for half an hour, the siren call of Netflix ringing in my head. I lack the motivation to hurl myself back into the fray of this convoluted ten-week system. But still, I carry on.

And you can you!

But it might take some work.

Getting back into the swing of things is always hard for me. The switch from lazing around at home with comfortable friends who have seen me in my holiday sweat pants, to the rigor of classes and strangers and people who might not appreciate my coffee-stained footsie pajamas, is difficult to adjust to.

First thing's first: try to start waking up early again.

Remember the sweet, invigorating smell as you walked to your eight a.m class last quarter? No?

Well I promise it's there, so try looking for it.

You would be amazed at how much you can achieve if you wake up at seven instead of ten (or eleven, or even noon).

Once you get your body clock sorted out, there's no limit to what you can do (OK maybe there is, but you'll get some homework done before class so that's a plus).

Now, the second phase of a smooth transition into a new year is substantially easier; reconnect with all your friends.

That's right, you heard me. It's not all drudgery and drear, you do get to prioritize a social life. It's important to surround yourself with people who make you a better version of yourself. They can motivate you, help you, and make this whole "college" deal a lot more bearable.

Reward yourself for hard work with a movie night, or an adventure, or just a coffee date.

Finally, the most important thing to strive for; a sense of wonder.

Wake up, and actively look for the beauty in your day. Find the silver lining, and then make a tapestry out of it.

This might be the hardest thing to do. Considering the current political climate, and the looming inauguration, it's damn near impossible to look at the world and come away with any kind of positivity. And it might be a little naive and privileged of me to even suggest this.

But if you let all the ugly, cruel, bitter parts of the world get inside you, you've already lost.

So this year, or this semester, or this quarter, fight for what you want.

Work hard, play hard, and maybe take a spare few hours to look for UFOs, and rekindle that childlike belief in magic that's still lurking somewhere in your heart.

I promise it will make your eight a.m classes a little more fun.