Guenther Steiner: An Iconic Team Principal

Guenther Steiner: More Than a Team Principal

"The best that our drivers could bring to the battle was a shovel – to dig the hole we're in even deeper" - Guenther Steiner

296

"The best that our drivers could bring to the battle was a shovel – to dig the hole we're in even deeper" - Guenther Steiner.

Quite harsh, yet quite funny, right? That's Guenther Steiner for you.

Guenther Steiner is an Italian motorsport engineer, manager, and most importantly, Formula One's Haas' team principal.

Steiner's career jump-started in 1986 when he became a mechanic for Mazda Rally Team Europe in the World Rally Championship.

In 1989, Steiner went from mechanic to assistant team manager for Top Run Motorsport. Two years later, He became the head of reconnaissance and the technical manager at Jolly Club.

Only in 2001 did Steiner enter the world of Formula One, when three-time F1 world champion, Niki Lauda, recruited Steiner as the managing director of F1's Jaguar Racing team. It wasn't until, April 14th, 2014, that Steiner officially became the team principal of Haas—the first American constructor to compete in Formula 1 in 30 years.

He especially stole the hearts of many in the Formula One docuseries, Formula 1: Drive to Survive, showing a blunt, witty and humorous side to him that was not seen before.

From his candid humor to his harsh insults, Steiner became a Formula 1 fan favorite.

One of his most iconic moments was when he was expressing his frustration with his team's performances and calls them a name that is far too inappropriate for this article.

In another instance, Steiner was fed up with one of his drivers, Romain Grosjean. At a Haas team dinner, Steiner did not invite Grosjean and cracked jokes saying that the driver would have been invited if he scored some points for the team... Ouch.

The Netflix series was not the only time Steiner showed such a side to him.

At the 2017 United States Grand Prix, Steiner told Grosjean to "shut up" after the racer voiced his concerns about the soundness of his car.

Guenther Steiner is certainly a man who does not hold back, which is what makes him as admirable as he is. He's honest, he's a hard worker, he tells you like it is and he's just all-around iconic.

If there is any Formula One team principal to admire, make funny memes of and quote religiously, then Guenther Steiner is your guy.