Growing Up Without Gaming Systems

Growing Up Without Gaming Systems

Why I'm glad my parents made the choice.

42
Growing Up Without Gaming Systems
Sudut

Call of duty, FIFA, and NBA 2k. These are household names in the realm of gaming, but I did not experience these growing up. Most kids my age would say “Wow, how did you have fun” or “Why were your parents so mean to you”, but I do not feel that way at all. I have nothing against these games and play them some now today, but I think my parents made the correct decision in keeping them out of the house in my developmental period. These games, when managed well by parents, can be a fun option for kids on a rainy day or when it is cold, but the absence of them is just as effective. Having video games as a kid encouraged three important activities growing up. My brothers and I grew up playing outside rather than inside on the gaming system, we always had plenty of time to focus on our academics in an essential phase of education, and we valued face to face interaction and team work.

The first positive effect of no video games as a kid was playing outside as a default activity. My brothers and I spent many an hour playing our own versions of Call of Duty in the sandbox with pretend planes or playing soccer with a physical ball rather than with a PS4 controller. Among the numerous benefits this gave to us was we were always in great shape. I can remember many a summer night coming when it was dark after playing the yard for as long as the parents would let us. This was great for my parents too because we would be out of their hair for just a bit. My love for the outdoors has not subsided as I mature into a young adult, so I will definitely make sure my kids have an appreciation for the natural world along with simulated world.

The second advantage, one I am sure my parents considered, is the increased time for reading and other school work as kids without gaming systems. I know each of my brothers and I have gone through phases where we cannot put down books. Among other things, the lack of gaming systems allowed for us to have plenty of time to dedicate each night to reading for pleasure along with completing any homework. Does this mean I never put off an assignment? No, but I am glad my parents did their best to make sure I had ample time to complete my school work to the best of my ability. One underrated benefit of no gaming systems is more sleep for kids. Coming to school rested increases academic performance no doubt and while I do not experience that luxury much today, it is nice concept.

The final and most valuable positive effect for me from no gaming systems is the increased value on face to face interactions. My parents can attest that my friend from across the street was like a 5

th son to them growing up because he spent so much time over in our backyard playing with us. With gaming systems in the house, I may not have been able to form this special bond with him. People can interact on gaming over audio with services such as X-Box live, but nothing beat playing numerous games of kickball out in the backyard as a kid. I know I am closer with my brothers today because of the time spent together outdoors growing up. This article was not intended to be a bashing session against video games, but it is more to recognize the great products of spending time outside along with my parent’s gusto to say no to gaming systems. They were the new fad as I was growing up and I wholeheartedly support their decision today to eliminate them from our life growing up.