Looking back at my childhood I see millions of memories shared with my mother, my father, and my two older brothers. Over the years, I have shared my experiences of growing up with two older brothers with others. People who have an older brother or brothers, relate to a lot of my experiences. Here are some of the stories and experiences that I hope people can relate to.
1. Food is always a tough part about growing up with older brothers. Just because your name is on a container in the fridge doesn’t mean that it is actually yours. Sharing food is never an option unless it was vegetables. Dinner time can easily turn into the Hunger Games.
2. Play times can be very violent. I was 11 years younger than my brothers, but I still remember playing with them. One time one of my brothers tickled me until I cried. Another time was when my brothers and I were playing hide and go seek. My brothers hid in one of the tall trees in my back yard. I remember looking up into the tree and laughing. I loved playing with my brothers.
3. When it came to making decisions we couldn't all agree. I remember arguing about what to watch was the most intense arguments of my life. Whenever my brothers won it was the worst feeling in the world.
4. We don’t listen to directions ever. One day my brother was told he was supposed to watch me, but he wasn’t paying attention. He left to go shopping leaving me alone with our awful dog. I walked all around the house looking for him after he left. I began crying when I realized I was the only one in the house. When my parents got home I could tell that he was going to be in trouble and it brought me much joy. (Yes, I still hold this against you).
5. Fighting was normal between my brothers and I. It was always because someone took something or someone did something we didn’t like.
6. Family bonding wasn’t the greatest especially road trips. As a kid our family would drive down to Florida. Our car would be full-on Hunger Games. All of us were constantly seeking attention. By the end, my brothers and I would be so angry at each other. All I can say now is I’m sorry mom and dad.
7. Being picked on was a daily event. My brothers and I would always pick on each other. Anything from grades to the way we walked. I have always been very short, so my brothers have found many ways of telling me that I am short.
8. Pranks were always going on. All of us would play pranks on each other. I remember one of the most because it interrupted the best part of the day, my shower. My brothers and I would fill up a cup full of cold water/ice and dump it over the person in the shower. It was awful, but it was pretty funny!
9. You always thought that you wouldn’t miss them when they left. When I was younger and would get angry with my brothers (it was very often), my parents would say “When they leave you are going to miss them”. They were right.
10. Growing up with two older brothers has given me great memories, amazing mentors, protectors, and amazing best friends. I love them both very much and I could never imagine my life without them!