5 Truths Of Growing Up With An Older Brother
Siblings

I am so thankful to have a big brother.

572
Frances Ackerman

1. You always have someone to keep you grounded.

When I say "grounded" I mean as in humble but "grounded" as in trouble could also apply. My big brother, Andy, is five years older than me and when we were young he would always remind me that "the world does not revolve around you." When I was little I scoffed at this but now I understand that this was his way of trying to get me to consider other people's needs instead of my own. This is a lesson that he does not know that he was teaching me at the time but it stuck and I will always remember this, as I will always remember that time he slapped me in the face with a pancake but let's keep this positive.

2. You mess with one of us, you mess with both of us.

We come as a packaged deal so If anyone hurts the other, you better believe you will have the other one to deal with. I am fiercely loyal and protective of the people that are close to me, including my brother.

3. Someone always has your back.

You always have someone to talk to no matter the subject. There is never any judgment, only advice to be given, or if you just need someone to listen.

4. You seek each other's approval.

We always want what is best for each other and encourage each other to strive for our goals. We want to make each other proud! This especially applies to dating — we really want each other to like the people we are dating! Our opinions really matter to one another.

5. You will always have a forever friend.

We will always be there for each other. We fought when we were little but are close friends now. I would not trade this special brother-sister bond for anything!