8 Things Growing Up With Double Sisters Has Taught Me
Siblings

8 Things Growing Up In A Family With Double Sisters Has Taught Me

Being there for my little sister the way my older sister is there for me is a full-time job, but is probably the most rewarding thing ever.

367
Cara Williams

I'd like to start this off by saying I give major props to my dad, living in a household with me, my mother, and my two sisters definitely is stressful. (but according to him he wouldn't have it any other way). Sure, at times, they are the most difficult people to deal with in the world, but I honestly do not think I would be the person I am today without my sisters.

Over the past 18 years, I've learned a couple of valuable lessons from my sisters that come in handy in my day-to-day life.

1. How to argue (and how to win an argument)

I can safely say that nobody you meet you will fight you harder than one of your sisters. Whether it be physically as kids, or verbally now, I've never been met with a fiercer opponent than one of my sisters. Arguing with a sister is a whole entire different situation than arguing with a friend because not only do they know literally everything about you, they are not afraid to use it.

After 18 years of arguments, I can safely say that I've mastered the art, knowing when it's not worth it, and when it is. But no matter how badly we argue, you can probably find us on our way to get food five minutes after or engaged in a duet during our favorite song.

2. How to support someone and hype them up when needed

Having a sister is essentially having a constant hype woman. They're always there to support you through everything (and help convince your parents if needed). Growing up with two sisters has fully made me the hype woman I am today.

3. How to be there for others

As the middle child, I've had the honor of not only being both a little and big sister. Being there for my little sister the way my older sister is there for me is a full-time job, but is probably the most rewarding thing ever. Having someone come to you looking for advice and trusting you enough to actually follow it is probably one of the nicest things ever.

Because of how important I find it to be there for others, I'm able to apply that to not only my sister but also my friends and acquaintances. Trust me, it's not easy for someone to admit to others they need help, so having someone come to you actively seeking your help and your company is the nicest feeling ever.

4. How nice it is to have someone there for you

Yes, you can always turn to your friends or your parents when you need someone to talk to, but there's really nothing better than sitting in your sisters' room and talking about literally anything in the world. I'm a middle child, so luckily I have an older sister that has gone through the similar, if not the same, things as I have. She's able to give me tips and insight that I'd never have. Coming to college has made us so much closer because not only can we relate to each other a little more, but she loves to hear about my life and in her words "relive her freshmen year vicariously through me"

5. How two (or three) closets are better than one

As I'm sitting here typing this I have to say that the thought of my sisters having complete access to all of my stuff at home makes me a little annoyed. But I can safely say that having access to more than one closet really comes in handy when you're in a time crunch for an event (or if you're just super tired of wearing the same sweaters).

6. How working together is better than working separately

Whether it be finishing chores early, planning gifts or parties, or just trying to convince your parents to do something, you'll quickly find that having a sister, or partner in crime, is so much nicer and more fun than doing it alone.

7. How to be an individual

As a middle child, I am constantly compared to not only my oldest sister but also my youngest. And while it's typical for others to lump us together (I mean we're sisters) it can get annoying at times. Growing up with sisters (especially ones that look very similar to you) teaches you how to grow out of your shell, by encouraging you to find your own passions, and become an individual.

8. How to set an example for others

Whether you're the older or younger sister, I can promise you that your sisters are looking up to you. You're both going through different paths in your life and picking up valuable lessons along the way. I can guarantee that as you go through similar experiences your sister is going to look to you for advice on how to handle it.