I Grew Up Rich, But I Earned Everything That I Have

I Grew Up With An Elevator In My House, But My Parents Never Gave Me A Free Step Up

My mom is a co-owner of my checking account, but she doesn't fund it.

220

Growing up, my family never had to worry about how we would get our next meal.

We went on cruises, vacations to other states and other countries.

My brother and I got entire mountains worth of Christmas gifts every year.

Both my brother and I went to private school.

In our house, we had an elevator. I had my own bathroom and walk-in closet. We lived on the river.

While many people would make fun of us for being "rich" when we were in school (and by no means were we poor) I don't think that the socioeconomic status of my parents made me any less of a hardworking individual.

I grew up wanting to earn my own money. I applied to over 40 jobs in my hometown when I was 16 and took the first job I was offered working at a fast-food chain. I worked there for over two years.

I go to a public university and live off-campus, but I also work full-time and pay my own rent, utilities, etc., while maintaining a 3.5 GPA and double majoring.

I studied abroad and traveled during those six months I spent living in Spain, but I paid for my own flights.

I own a MacBook and an iPhone, but I bought those for myself, too.

All that being said, I know that if I were to accidentally overspend one month, my mom would help me out enough so I could eat and pay my rent. She still pays my car insurance and my phone bill, and she bought me my car (a used 2003 Toyota at that, nothing fancy).

I understand that I have it a lot better than a lot of people, but I've still earned my place.

Every job I've ever had wanted to keep me for longer than I could stay. I've never been fired. I've worked low-wage jobs since I was 17.

I'm a good employee and a good student, and that's not something anyone can be handed on a silver platter.