Growing Up On an Island

Growing Up On an Island

From local food to beautiful views of the ocean and forest, Whidbey Island has helped me to understand the beauty of the PNW and living in a small community.

819
Growing Up On an Island
Jaimie

I believe growing up on an Island has helped to shape me into the person I am today. I can't imagine living in a more beautiful place, as Whidbey Island is surrounded by the ocean, forest and mountains. Since I spend most of my time away at college, when I am back home, I feel as though I am able to appreciate the beauty of Whidbey Island and how lucky I am to have grown up there. Lately I have been reflecting on some of my favorite things about where I am from and how they have helped me grow and learn about living in a community.

The Small Community

Whether its going into a grocery store or running on a trail through the plentiful woods Whidbey Island has to offer, I can honestly say I will almost always see someone I know. And although this can be a blessing and a curse, I have learned to enjoy seeing people from my community and taking a minute or two out of my day to catch up after being away at college. I never know who I might run into. Maybe someone from high school I haven't seen in a few years, or a family friend, but it is always a nice surprise. Not only is it almost a guarantee to run into someone I know when out and about, but the small community of Whidbey Island is an amazing support system. I have witnessed countless occasions when the community stepped up for those in need, no questions asked, to create a loving and supportive atmosphere in a time of grief.

The Saturday Farmer's Market

One of my favorite things about coming home in the summer is visiting the weekly farmer's market near my house. From produce to soaps, paintings to baked goods, the market has it all. I love being able to stock up on my favorite fresh fruits and vegetables instead of shopping at the store. Plus, tying in with the small community aspect of Whidbey Island, I know most of the venders on a first name basis and exactly where their farms are located—talk about local! The Farmer's market is a wonderful place to enjoy lunch, catch up on grocery shopping, talk with some old friends and listen to the local artist bands.

The Restaurants

Not only do I love eating local from the farmer's markets but nothing beats the Village Pizzaria or Pickles Deli, and the many other restaurants Whidbey Island has to offer. If you plan on taking a trip to Whidbey, I highly recommend both of those places. There is a restaurant for every occasion and every view you could ever want. From the waterfront to magnificent views of the mountains, eating on Whidbey Island is never dull.

The Constant View Of The Ocean

Since I have always lived on an Island it's hard for me to image those who don't live near the ocean or have never seen the ocean in person all together. Although I am only an hour away from the ocean while at college, I still miss the smell and sound of the ocean and how calming it can look on a sunny summer day or a stormy winter evening. Having the ocean nearby is not only great for the view, but for recreation as well. My summers are spent on the beach, enjoying the sun and swimming in the cold water. Recreational activities consists of kayaking to wind surfing and everything in between.

The PNW Beauty And All It Has To Offer

From the ocean to the woods and the rolling hills, the small towns and the lakes, Whidbey Island has an incredible amount of beauty. Tourists come from all over to experience Whidbey's beauty and enjoy the PNW. I feel so lucky to live in a place with countless hikes just less than an hour away and running trails right outside my front door. Whidbey Island is the perfect place to experience some outdoor time, whether for recreation or for a relaxing vacation.

When I tell people where I am from, I feel proud and lucky to call Whidbey Island my home. No matter how far I travel, I know I will always have the Island, its beautiful scenery and small community to come back to.