Growing up as a Quintuplet

Growing up as a Quintuplet

Many of us grow up as a multiple but most of us don't get to experience being a part of a higher order multiple.

730
Growing up as a Quintuplet
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/09/29/636423157977727361-458790904_IMG_0839.v2.jpg

Many of us have siblings; some are older or younger and even some who are the same age. Relationships between a younger and an older sibling and vice versa are much different than those who are the same age. We call these siblings multiples. Most of the time you may see twins and triplets. However, have you seen a set of higher order multiples? Probably not. But guess what? I have. In fact, I am a quintuplet.

Just in case you don't know how many kids that is, it's five. No, you didn't read that wrong, it's five. First things first; if you're that person who is thinking we have telepathic powers, we don't.

Now, if you're old enough, you may remember our birth. Being the first set of quintuplets born in Nebraska definitely got the country's attention. Over the years, the biggest thing that came with us being quintuplets was the media. As babies, we were featured on many news channels and papers both locally and nationally. My parents were even on the Oprah show. Most of these times, the milestones we passed were documented. However, the majority of these were local. Now that we're nineteen, this attention has almost vanished and I am more than happy for that.

Besides having the small media attention throughout my life, growing up with four siblings the same age as me has been pretty normal. To me, it feels no different than having any other sibling. It's like having a twin, but add three people.

There are several pros and cons to this. A pro to this is that you're never alone. Sure, if you have siblings but you're not the same age, this can apply to you but if means something different to me. My siblings and I often get to experience the same things at the same exact time. One thing that pops in my mind right away is our high school graduation; it was way more fun to go through that with my siblings. Another pro to this is that we have a built in group-to-do-things-with. Also, someone is always there to answer your questions. Need help with that math problem? No problem! Go ask your sibling who is in the same math class as you.

Now, there are some cons that come with being a quintuplet and that also includes never being alone. It's just not possible to have a quiet house at any time. One more con is that some people will always group us together. This is okay if others do this but at times we do like to be directed individually because you know, we're not the same person. The list for these goes on and on but the pros with always overpower them.

In general, It has been magical growing up with my siblings all while developing our own personalities and interests. We have a reader and writer (me), actor, artist and teacher, gamer, and a camera man. With these interesting feats, there is so much variety and I couldn't be more excited to see what paths we all end up taking.

Having these guys with me along the way and sharing precious experiences together is something that's priceless. Sure, they can be annoying at times, but I wouldn't change a thing about them. So, in the end, I can say I have enjoyed growing up as a quintuplet and I will continue to for the rest of my life.

From Your Site Articles