Group Projects Are Bullshit, And Everyone Knows It
Education

My name is the only one on my degree, so let me do my own work.

202

As finals week approaches, we all have something to worry about: papers, tests, presentations, speeches...and group projects. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to learning but let's get one thing straight: if you don't despise group projects, you are probably the issue.

Show me a group project where I am not the one doing 80% of the work, and I will show you an anomaly. It is truly mind-boggling how someone could be so confident that if they don't do a single thing, I will pick up their slack.

But you know what...I do, so who is really to blame? I am not about to let the laziest, most unmotivated humans in existence bring down my GPA, though.

"Well, you have to get used to it because that's how the real world is."

FALSE.

Show me an instance in a career setting where someone makes everyone else pick up their slack and still keeps their job. If you don't provide any sort of benefit for the company you are working for, you get fired. Plain and simple.

If you are telling me that group projects are in existence just to show me how incompetent people can be, then I will let you have that point, but incompetent people only get so far when their work doesn't affect my grade.

Some professors really think that a group will ease the workload, but I'm doing the damn thing by myself anyway, and now I am just annoyed. Some professors really are just that lazy. Instead of grading 30 individual projects, they only have to grade six group projects; how about that.

Unfortunately, until the day I graduate, I will be plagued by group projects. I will rely on other people to do their part and consistently get let down when they don't.

I will scramble to cover their ass last second when I trusted that they would get it done. I will feel bad and give a high C on a peer evaluation to someone who deserves an F. I will break down while typing out a passive-aggressive message literally begging someone to PLEASE DO SOMETHING.

But at least I can write an article about it.