What Grinds My Gears While At The Gym

What Grinds My Gears While At The Gym

A few friendly reminders when exercising in a shared space.

95
What Grinds My Gears While At The Gym
Google

For those of you who frequently attend your local gym or work-out hotspot, I am sure there are a few things that bother you while you're there. For the most part, I am fine with who attends, how they respect the equipment and others and their overall behavior. But some people's actions at the gym really tend to irritate me, so here are a few things to keep in mind while exercising:

1. Please do not judge people at the gym.

Literally every person who is exercising at the gym is trying to better themselves. It's just disrespectful to see people eyeballing others for not being as strong, fast or athletic as them. If they wear make-up, jewelry and their hair in huge curls, don't let that bother you. If they are extremely overweight and can barely jog at a moderate pace, let them. If they run a little strangely or trip while on the treadmill, don't stare. Encourage your neighbors, you already have one thing in common considering you're both there.

2. Please wipe down your machine or equipment when you are through with it.

People have germs and sweat. There are towels and disinfectant sprays located around most if not all gyms, so please don't be lazy and quickly wipe down your machine. At most, it will take you two minutes, and the next person to take that machine will greatly appreciate it.

3. Try not to hog the equipment.

No, placing your water bottle and sweat rag next to a machine for a long period of time while you aren't using it is not OK. I go to a small gym, as I go to a small private school. There is one stair climber in the cardio room, so please don't just leave a placeholder to secure your spot. If you aren't using it right then and there, someone else might want to.

4. Be courteous of the other gym members.

Be respectful to everyone there, you don't have to be their friend, but you should act friendly. Also, on a side note, refrain from putting your mouth directly on the water fountain spout please.

5. Music is awesome, but that's what headphones are for.

I feel the struggle of forgetting your headphones at home, but it is not favorable to have to listen to someone's particular soundtrack when trying to run or lift or whatever you do to burn calories. Especially if one is comfortable running without, but cannot escape the music near them.

In all consideration, what grinds my gears while at the gym is really not that big of a deal. I'm not trying to rant or complain, because I love where I work out and I really enjoy going there. The employees are kind and helpful, and the gym is always neat and clean. But it's the little things that people can do to be courteous and respectful to the other members. After all, everyone there has a similar goal in mind.