4 Mental Health Benefits Of Going Green

4 Mental Health Benefits Of Going Green

The color green is psychologically good for your mental health.

52
4 Mental Health Benefits Of Going Green

Humans cannot survive without the natural world and its resources, yet it would go on just fine - much better even - without us. Beyond resources, it seems we may have a fundamental need for nature to improve our mental health. Numerous studies support the effectiveness of the growing practice of ecotherapy. Ecotherapy encompasses the idea that “through learning to care for the natural environment we learn to care for and nurture ourselves.” There is evidence that by minimizing one’s carbon footprint and spending time in the great outdoors, we improve our own mental/emotional well-being.

For those of us who already have a deep care for our natural world, environmental grief, a term coined by thanatologist Kriss Kevorkian, could be a very real thing. As we witness whales and baby sea lions beach themselves at record numbers, bee populations rapidly disappear, and numerous species go extinct, there is a sense of loss that has the potential to put humans into a state of grief.

As the gravity of global warming sinks in, it’s necessary for people to use this sadness to fuel action. This is not to scare you, but to empower you! To recognize and apply our worries can not only improve the environment, but also our individual senses of self worth and happiness. In fact, the two may be fundamentally connected!

One study presents the argument that though it may be customary to view happiness and ecological well-being as conflicting goals (more industry, more money, more happiness, right?) “they may actually be complementary.” The studies done proved people who were more ecologically responsible in behavior reported higher levels of subjective well-being (how positively one views their own life). This relationship occurs due to innate human values and mindfulness. Nature reminds us that there is something bigger than ourselves - and that we are a small, yet essential part of it!

Here are some of the mental health benefits that nature provides:

• Feeling connected → Rather than viewing our existence as utter chaos, taking a walk in a park or along a beach can rein us in, calm us down, and remind us we are interconnected to something greater.
  • Recovery from normal psychological wear and tear → Even simply having a view of foliage from an office window has the power to lower one’s stress levels compared to an office looking at a brick or concrete wall. After taxing tasks, these same green views aid in restoring mental clarity. Side note: Even the color green itself (in any fashion) has been shown to increase creativity and inventiveness!
  • Decrease in negative thoughts → This study suggests walking in nature quite literally changes our brains in such a way that we become much less focused on the negative aspects of our lives. Practically immediate and simple, this tactic improved the moods of the city dwellers tested.
  • Healing the body → Though this article is focused on mental health, the power of nature extends beyond the mind. Research done on hospital patients showed those placed in rooms with views of greenery recovered quicker, had less complications, and required less pain medication than those patients with views of walls. Sign me up for the first class view please!

So, what are some more simple steps we can take to reap these benefits?

Walk Barefoot!

Naturalists and therapists alike claim the back-to-basics action can stimulate wholesomeness and fortitude. We feel these things in nature and are more compelled to find these things within ourselves.

Actively recycle and/or compost food waste!

Being mindful of the resources we consume is being mindful of the community around us. This can subconsciously battle feelings of anxiety and depression by contributing to a greater sense of purpose. Not only can it become a conversation topic, but a passion.

Choose a park picnic instead of a restaurant.

It’s important to get a dose of the outdoors, but when you live in the city this can be difficult to do. So satisfy your need for dinner while simultaneously reaping the psychological benefits of being closer to nature.

Grow your own plants/vegetables.

Some therapists will actually have patients do this (or take care of a pet) to increase happiness among other things.

The natural world around us puts into perspective that there’s more to life than just us and jobs. It is simply up to us to slow down and embrace it. Go on and save the planet… and your own self in the process!