America's Greatest Abandoned Places (That You Can Legally Enter)

No breaking or entering necessary! Just add water!

1114
RSVLTS

America is a baby of a country.

Although 1776 may seem a very long time ago, America's lifetime as a republic of states is barely anything compared with the age of other countries. England has been around since 1100CE. China has been around since 221BCE. Our country may have a firm foot in the modern world, but one that hasn't been very long held.

And yet, America is bursting with secrets.

Despite being a baby in comparison to our other countries' grumpy old age, we still have a ton of hidden gems, secret treasures, and dirt swept under the under the rug. The crumbling past of America is surprisingly tantalizing to those who travel around it, especially when we can see that past with our own two eyes. Problematically, most of America's "crumbling past" is crumbling, so usually we aren't allowed to go anywhere near it, or we might break ourselves/property.

Thankfully, some of these places are still open to visit.

Here are a handful you can explore for yourself.

The subway tunnels today.Source: QueenCityDiscovery

Cincinnati's Subway System

In 1916, the city of Cincinnati, Ohio decided to make their city really sparkle with a brand new project - building a subway system! Subway systems were the way to get a party started in the early-mid 1900s, since they were a convenient way to bridge the city together without clogging the streets with motor vehicles. Hey, if San Francisco did it, why can't Ohio?

Unfortunately, their funding soon ran out with the advent of the two World Wars, and resources began flowing elsewhere of public development. However, the project was already many years underway by this point, and the city had no choice but to let it sit, undeveloped and unused. In that time, the subway's deserted corridors sat decaying into what it now looks like - damp, dark, and downright spooky in its graffitied death, yet a ton of fun to explore.

The subway under construction. Source: Cincinnati Historical Society

If you want to visit, the local historical society offers tours (unfortunately) once a year here. Otherwise, brave spelunkers have found entrances dotted around the city.

The resort's famous natatorium in 2015. Source: Abandoned NY

Grossinger's Catskill Resort Hotel, NY

If you're a fan of The Shining, listen the hell up.

Asher Grossinger was an entrepreneur who moved to the Catskill Mountains in New York in the 1900's. What started as a glorified B&B run by him and his wife quickly grew into a five-star, grandiose set of buildings stretching across the vast land owned by the hotel owners. Frequented by movie stars and athletes looking for a glamorous getaway, the resort was exceedingly prosperous and featured the first artificial snow used by any resort in the world.

However, all good things must come to an end, and in the 1980's, resorts of this breed found it increasingly difficult to draw young crowds in. As its base of visitors slowly declined over the years, the hotel eventually declared bankruptcy and was left untouched, much like its sister resort, the Concord.

The natatorium in its heyday. Source: Brown University Library

The Concord was demolished a few years ago, but much like a petulant third grader taking swimming lessons for the first time, Grossinger's refused to go under. Its golf course is still active to this day, but the resort itself lies unused, and with most of its fences knocked down, it lies open to any brave enough to explore its ruins.

A fissure in the ground where the coal fire's smoke billows through. Source: Business Insider

Centralia, Pennsylvania

If you're not looking for glamour in your decay, feast your eyes on this weak ember of a town.

Centralia was a bustling coal mining town for many years, and even sported suburbs with average American families until the 1980's. However, it was in the 80's that disaster struck the small town - the coal mines lit on fire as a result of an explosion. It didn't end there, though. Determined to ruin everyone's day, the fire kept burning for seemingly no reason, producing toxic fumes and shifting the earth in and around the town, and leading to the eventual evacuation of the entire town.

Centralia a few years before the fires started. Source: Pennsylvania Historical Society

Nowadays, the town is considered a ghost town, save for a few very hardy residents still toughing it out. If you're planning on visiting, be careful, as the coal fires have split the roads with fissures that still spew smoke.

Oh, and this town was also one of a handful that inspired Silent Hill. Have fun.

Bodie, California

In the mid-late 1800's, gold was discovered in California. The rest of America, bent on getting as much of "The American Dream" (money) as they could, flocked to the parched mountains of the coastal state like hungry geese chasing a fleeing taco cart. However, many of these towns were discovered not to have as much of (or any of) the gold they promised, and ghost towns became the name of the game. People moved where the money went, and thus, many Western towns were left abandoned.

The interior of one of its shops. Source: GhostTowns.com

Such is the tale of Bodie, California; a town that the sunny state calls its "Official Gold Rush Town". Surprisingly, you can enter many of the old-fashioned cottages and town buildings that dot the area, as it's considered a state park. The musty wooden buildings still stand today as a stern reminder of the fickleness of wealth. If you've played one too many a night of Red Dead Redemption, this is the place for you.

The tunnels in 2010. Source: HauntedHouses.com

Shanghai Tunnels, Portland

When one thinks of Portland, usually the first thoughts that come to mind are of its residents, and their rather quirky nature. (See: Portlandia) However, a city with the slogan "Keep Portland Weird" has to have a few darker secrets, and the Shanghai Tunnels are one of them.

Running under several main streets in the city, this network of tunnels was originally constructed to allow the flow of goods and materials to the basements of businesses in the city above, to prevent clutter in front of businesses. However, it quickly became a den of drug dealing, smuggling, and occasional kidnapping, leading to its name - to "Shanghai" someone was to kidnap them with intent to enslave them. (FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY)

Some basements that sat next to the tunnels were made into establishments. Source: Portland Underground

Naturally, they fell out of use as establishments found easier, less creepy ways to get deliveries. Nowadays, most entrances are sealed up, but a few places have their basements opened up to those who wish to travel the tunnels. If you're searching for them, they're reportedly under Northwest Couch, Davis and Everett streets. But beware - you'll probably get kidnapped by drunk ghost gangster pirates. Or tetanus.

The prison block today. Source: AbandonedNYC

Old Essex County Prison, New Jersey

The last stop on our tour is probably the most dangerous. The Essex County Jail was constructed to house prisoners of the state - crazy, I know - but fell into disrepair when the county constructed an updated facility closer to the city center. The city refused to reclaim the building, though, and so the license on the grounds expired with no one to claim its title. Since then, this vaulting cathedral of a prison has stood open to any willing to enter its rusted innards.

In that time, the building's previous reputation for legality has since been tarnished, due to the presence of junkies and others wishing to escape notice - hence the danger in visiting it. If you truly are curious and have some (muscular) friends willing to join you, feel free to spelunk in this monument to irony.

These aren't the only places in America - every single state and city has its own fair share of derelict buildings waiting to be explored. If you can find one safe (and legal) enough to jump into, grab some boots and flashlights and go for it.

Happy exploring.