3 Ways To Have A Great Valentine's Day, As A Single Person

If you're anything like me, Valentine's Day has been a rather tough holiday ever since we moved past the elementary school parties where everyone was each other's valentine. I've never had a relationship before, and that was something I used to be a LOT more insecure about. While Valentine's Day used to make me feel insufficient or like a failure from middle school all the way to my first year of college, I've come to understand that that's missing the point of Valentine's Day.

Valentine's Day is all about love, so focusing on something that makes you not love your awesome self is the opposite of the spirit of the holiday.

So, if you're like me and are going to be spending your Valentine's Day without a significant other this year, here are some tips on how to focus on celebrating yourself!

1. First up is a classic single person tradition to Valentine's Day - have yourself a delicious meal.

Chinese Food Sigh GIF by Shay Mitchell Giphy

I can't really recommend you go out to eat this year due to the pandemic, but takeout, delivery, or even cooking at home are all options! The point of this isn't to pacify your feelings with food, but rather to treat yourself so you remember that you're special and worth doing something special for.

Pro tip: also go out and buy yourself some flowers to put in your room; the same effect, but now you also get to brighten your room a bit!

https://giphy.com/gifs/yo-because-splurge-oWZICupB...

2. Your second Valentine's Day self-care tip is to snuggle up with your favorite blanket.

safe for work puppy GIF Giphy

If you're fortunate enough to already own or have the means to buy a weighted blanket, this goes doubly for you. There is absolutely nothing better than curling up on your couch to read a good book or watch a movie while eating that awesome food you already have from tip number one!

If you can turn yourself into a Valentine's Day-themed blanket burrito, that would be the ideal way to follow through on this tip.

3. Last but not least is to get some sunshine!

top of the world sunshine GIF by Xyngular Giphy

Valentine's Day is on a Sunday this year, which means you will (hopefully) have some extra weekend time to yourself. Try to find a park or trail near where you live to head out on a hike and just experience nature. It's also quarantine-friendly since you can do this totally on your own!

This is an especially great tip if you're feeling a little extra lonely and are a little down about Valentine's Day. Spending some time focusing on some pretty plants and a beautiful sky can turn stifling loneliness into a delightful solitude that will make you appreciate yourself and life much more.

If you made it through this list, awesome! I'm hoping you have a great Valentine's Day and truly feel some self-love - you deserve it!