A Great Start To The World Of Travel Photography

Explore some basic concepts behind a rewarding, life changing adventure.

17
Google Images

Photography is nothing but exceptional. Traveling the world as a photographer carries immeasurable impact as it fully encompasses the networking of numerous emotionally tied moments. Each of these moments tells a story. It is the job of the photographer to develop these stories into something inspiring. Employing effective skills in travel photography requires a high level of technique, inspiration, and preparation in telling the story behind the image.

With the utilization of modern photography equipment, often forgotten the amount of planning it takes to achieve an image. Aspiring to be a travel photographer involves a great deal of patience, skill, and devotion to the time needed in capturing a moment. The resulting photo strives to preserve a story. Developing a strong underlying back story is a defining component in travel photography.

Long gone are the days of large bulky camera equipment. Having more than efficient gear is critical in being prepared. Photography equipment needs to be both carefully selected and highly familiar. First, as it rightfully should, the camera model must be determined. A large variety of camera bodies exist on today's market. The best camera for travel photography is by far a DSLR camera. When choosing the camera, photographers need to take into account brand preferences, available settings, and associated costs.

Along with the camera body photographers, will also need an assortment of lens. Each lens has its own special features. Some have higher apertures, while others are just the opposite. Loosely defined, aperture is a controllable hole in the lens to adjust light sensitivity. Shutter speed is another differentiating variable. Saving space is a unique feature of an adjustable lens. One way to immediately tell lens apart is by the lens millimeter, which represents a zoom-like feature. An 18mm lens will be a wider, zoomed out shot. While a 200mm lens provides the closer, zoomed-inimage. More lenses now include a telephoto lens, a long lens with high zoom capabilities, and lens with special purposes such as a fisheye or portrait lens.

When taking a photo, it is important to use the appropriate lens. Zooming in with a camera gives less depth of the picture. If a longer lens is zoomed very closely it can blur the background. This is a feature that proves to be beneficial to photographers when taking portraits. If the photographer desires a sense of depth it is advisable that a smaller millimeter lens is used.

Another consideration when taking photos is aperture. Aperture is the size of a small, controllable hole in the lens that helps determines the amount of light the photo receives. The smaller the aperture number, the larger the hole. Portrait lenses have a smaller aperture. A small number for aperture allows greater detail closer up. Detail further away is achieved through a high number aperture.

Other methods of controlling light exposure include ISO and shutter speed. Shutter speed is the time interval that the lens is open. Slower shutter speed equals longer exposure, resulting in more light. On the other hand, faster shutter speeds result in less exposure. ISO is the sensitivity that a camera has to light. This too is an adjustable feature. High ISO is used for darker rooms. A lower ISO is ideal for highly lit areas.

Furthering the skills as a photographer inevitably involves moving beyond the use of the camera's auto mode. Many professional photographers shoot in complete manual mode enabling the absolute control over the camera. When in this mode a number line will appear at the bottom of the screen. This line represents the light exposure. The end goal is to achieve a zero. Aperture, shutter speed, and ISO come into play in attaining the desired exposure. Remember, if a photo is overexposed it will turn out all white and if underexposed it will be black.

Professional photographers also recognize the simple fact that flash ruins photos. To ensure high-quality images adjust the exposure as discussed previously. A technique that has proved to be exceedingly valuable.

Good lighting provides well-lit subjects. When photographing images outside, overcast days have the best lighting. The time right around dusk and dawn are highly advised by experts. Too much brightness can cause overexposure, identified through an alarming amount of unexpected white in the image. On the flip side, not enough light will prohibit the full detailed capture of subjects.

Picture three lines drawn horizontally on the camera screen. Then, three more lines going vertically. When framing your subject, it is optimal to place the desired point of focus on the intersecting points as it is aesthetically appealing to the eye. This commonly used technique is called the rule of thirds.

Another well-known photography technique is leading lines. Leading lines are any lines in your pictures that lead the spectator's eyesto the desired location. These lines can be anything from roads to fences or even a fallen tree. To give an example, imagine a long road leading off to the horizon where a mountain awaits. The road serves as a leading line while the mountain becomes the desired focus point. Typically, it is advised that leading lines start from the corner of the frame.

Focusing more on framing the photo, photographers are always aware of color schematics. It is critical to place subjects against contrasting colors. Meaning that if the subject is wearing red then the background colors should be green. This contrast allows colors to be vibrant and stand out instead of blending in with the surrounding elements. Taking this one step further, many photographers will use props such as umbrellas or hats to add to the contrast of colors.

Before each expedition, rather it beafar or close to home, much research is needed. With plenty of time to develop a sense of location. This extensive research heavily involves finding local attractions, local leaders, and local customs. Take note of hours of operations when deciphering plausible photo opportunities; be aware of high tourist traffic hours. More things to look for include weather patterns as well as the time of sunrise and sunset. Extensively consider the local culture. Respecting local culture can promote friendly relationships with citizens. Being proactive gives travel photographers worldwide a leading edge.

When taking a photo, it is imperative to interact with the subjects. Listen to their story as it is often the story that brings emotion to the photograph. Take well-written notes to fully capture the moment. These notes should very much include names, back stories, locations, smells, sounds, and initial feelings. These observations will serve to be beneficial when later defining a well-written caption. Travel photography heavily involves capturing local life. To achieve this goal, photographers must be willing to get off the well-beaten paths and explore. Investigating life of the locals provides a valuable insight on everyday stories. Photography is an exclusive form of art that invokes both patience and diligence. It is critical for a photographer to express serenity in the time waiting for the right framing opportunities. At the end of the day defining the story is the ideal top priority.

As with everything else, safety is the number one priority especially when it comes to travel photography. During the process of research, it is important to establish local contacts to serve as a guide. Having a guide will help keep an exploring photographer in ordinance to local laws in addition to providing insightful information. For example, a guide could reveal good local photo opportunities. It is also best to meet with community leaders and get their approval. Experts identify this as a way to show respect and ensure doors of opportunity stay open, and perhaps even open a few more. Meeting with local leaders may also help locals to be more accepting since they are their guest photographers.

A photography excursion by no means ends with the return flight home. Each trip involves many post activities. Some such tasks would include the gathering and sorting of all photos taken. The next step entails selecting photos of high quality to use in a photo portfolio. Use the detailed notes to write thorough descriptive captions for each of your final photos. Do not forget to send any promised photos. With the final step of travel photography always being to share the findings in order to make an impact.

There are ample considerations involved with travel photography. Notably, most important is knowing the equipment, conducting the research, and above all else capturing the story. After all, as Yann Arthus-Bertrand once said, “The Earth is Art, The Photographer is Only a Witness".