Great 'Harry Potter' Quotes That Aren’t Said By Albus Dumbledore

Don't let the muggles get you down!

1562
The Telegraph

I'm back again with the “Harry Potter” stuff, and I’m not the least bit apologetic.

Even if you don’t know much about “Harry Potter,” I hope you’re at least appreciative of meaningful, insightful quotes. I love my man Albus Percival, but he gets credit for all the good quotes. J.K. created other wonderful characters who say worthwhile things too. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the books:

"What's comin’ will come, an’ we’ll meet it when it does.” –Hagrid

This quote is my absolute favorite from the series. Some things happen in our lives that are out of our control, but we can meet problems head-on when they arise, or at least do our best to be strong and get through them. Whether in daily life or when looking at problems around the country and world, this quote has helped me put things in perspective. While I don't look forward to the unpleasant, I feel prepared to embrace and tackle the challenges ahead.

"There are some things you can’t share without ending up liking each other…” –Narrator

With shared experiences, whether good, or bad, or knocking down 12 foot mountain trolls, comes inevitable feelings of fondness.

"...anything's possible if you’ve got enough nerve.” –Ginny

But also remember that sometimes...

"You're expecting too much of yourself.” –Lupin

It’s okay to admit that you can’t do something yet, or that you’re not ready right now, or that you’re not prepared. We set the highest standards for ourselves, and sometimes we have to realize those standards are not always attainable. We can excel at some things, but not all things.

"I am what I am, an’ I’m not ashamed” –Hagrid

Maybe we aren’t half-giants, but we have things that make us unique or that we cannot help that earn the disapproval of others. We should not let judgement (or fear of judgement) from others make us ashamed of ourselves.

"Excuse me, I don’t like people just because they’re handsome!” –Hermione

Nor should we. People are way too great for that. Wise people know there is good stuff beyond the exterior.

"Just because you’ve got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn’t mean we all have.” –Hermione

Be sensitive and understanding of others.

"Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.” –Luna

Often what brings us closure is better than we could have imagined.

"Well, times like that bring out the best in some people, and the worst in others” –Sirius

Don’t just find those loyal, courageous people; be the person that rises to the occasion and perseveres.

"Time will not slow down when something unpleasant lies ahead.” –Narrator

Whether we must face the consequences of our own poor choices, an unpleasant task or the impending death of a loved one, we must be prepared for the inevitable.

"You all righ’?…’Course yeh’re not. But yeh will be.” –Hagrid

A gentle reminder from Hagrid that it’s OK to not always be OK, and that this too shall pass.

"If you want to know what a man’s like, take a look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” –Sirius

Kingsley further expands on this idea when he says:

"We are all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.” –Kingsley

Not only is this true when it comes to helping those in need or humanitarian crises, but also when we clash in our beliefs, our values or our upbringing, this is something that is incredibly important to remember.

"But the thing is, you mustn’t go doing anything stupid.” –Hermione

Solid advice.

"It has nothing to do with weakness…there are horrors in your past that the others don’t have.” –Lupin

Some things will affect you more than others, because your past experiences are different from theirs. Don’t be ashamed to show emotions and sometimes be vulnerable. Others' strengths will make up for your weaknesses, and your strengths will make up for theirs. And if that’s not always an option, thinking of your happiest memory can help too!

"This was something you couldn’t learn by heart out of a book – not that she hadn’t tried.” ­­–Narrator

While this quote is about learning to ride a broomstick, it rings true about many of life’s lessons that we have to learn through our own experience and mistakes.

"Don't let the muggles get you down!” –Ron

People will disappoint. Don’t let others rob your joy.

"Harry, looking around, felt he was home at last.” –Narrator

Find the people that make you feel welcome and loved, and do the same for them.