The Great Balancing Act

The Great Balancing Act

Learning How to Perfect the Art of Blowing Off Steam

11
The Great Balancing Act
1life63.com

College is, above all else, a great balancing act.

There is so much freedom and there are many opportunities to do so many things that college could potentially be considered overwhelming at times. However, there is also the possibility of finding yourself burnt out after a particularly stressful week or even just a few classes. That is why it is important to find that firm middle ground which is comfortable to stand upon but also impossible to grow complacent with. For every project and assignment you've got to work on, also use your time wisely to treat yourself. Go out and see a movie, binge watch your favorite television series online, read a good book, or take a nap in your hammock.

The point is that real life is always going to be a balancing act, and your collegiate studies will be no different. It's not necessarily a bad thing. If you want to be successful by today's standards, it is almost requisite that you obtain a degree of some sort or at least the equivalent work experience. Pursuing such weighty tasks takes its toll on even the most dedicated students and workers, making "blowing off steam" a mandatory part of any busy schedule.

Take right now for example- I'm slowly but surely making my way through an accumulated mountain of work, scheduling my work hours for my on-campus job and somehow still finding it within me to apply for other campus opportunities. I wouldn't be able to manage all of that if I hadn't just binged on seasons four and five of Bones here and there this week. I kid you not.

The secret is multitasking and maximizing your ability to "take a load off" and enjoy yourself too, without enjoying yourself too much and upsetting the balance of things. If you lean too far to one side or the other, you'll either end up overworked and hate yourself or flunk a class and have your wallet and GPA hate you as well. Take advantage of extracurricular activities or clubs or events thrown by your campus and community. There's no time like the present, even in the midst of working towards your future.

Do not mistake irresponsibility for indulging yourself in merriment or fun activities. There is a difference between being involved with bad decision-making and watching fourteen episodes straight of a show between scrambling your brain with computations and algorithms. Have a little fun here and there, have a lot of fun on your off days and weekends, but still make sure you hold yourself responsible and accountable for what needs to be done when it should be done.

I'm sailing on the same sea as the rest of my college-bound and current college compatriots so I think I might know a few things about the subject. The rest you'll discover for yourself as you go.