Graduation And Fear Of The Unknown

Graduation And Fear Of The Unknown

Why so serious?

85
Graduation And Fear Of The Unknown
Joshua Voto

While many of us are gearing up for graduation, there is a wide array of emotions that we encounter in the lead up to that day. From happiness to sadness and everything in between, there is no shortage of thoughts and feelings to be had. However, the emotion that stands out the most is fear—fear of the unknown. If you speak to someone who is about to graduate, they would be lying if they said fear wasn’t one of the most widely felt emotions as they set off into the real world. As a person who is about to graduate, I can attest to this. I wake up in cold sweats and find my mind going every which way. I sometimes need to go so far as to re-watch episodes of "Friends" to make the nausea and anxiety subside.

Though there is certainly justification for fear of the unknown, it is important to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. People stand at a crossroads upon graduating university. There are those of us with jobs. There are some of us unemployed. There are students who wish to continue this hell and enter into a graduate program of some sort. While many people encounter very unique and different journeys, it is important to take into consideration that no decision is permanent and nothing is set in stone. Though your friend might have signed on to a consulting firm next year, it doesn’t mean he won’t be doing something entirely different a year from now. And though you might not really know what you’re about to do with your own life, it doesn’t mean you won’t figure it out at some point along the way. It’s OK to feel unsure about what your life will look like after graduation. But don’t work yourself up about it too much, if it means you can’t enjoy the final month before graduation.

When you talk to your parents and many adults, you often find them on an entirely different journey than they initially planned for when they graduated college. Some parents majored in criminal justice and became corporate all-stars. Some majored in math and became successful artists. Others majored in business and became police officers. Essentially, you might think you are going somewhere, and find yourself somewhere completely different a few years down the line. In a world of opportunity, one door closing can mean one thousand more doors opening up for you. The key is to constantly remind yourself that it will inevitably be OK. Each decision you make isn’t necessarily as permanent as you might think it is. As a new grad, the world is your oyster. Mess around with different things, and don’t be so quick to write off certain opportunities in your life. Don’t take for granted the power of the universe. There will be many bumps in the road. And yet, some way and somehow you will figure it out eventually.