I Graduated College? Now what?

I Graduated College? Now what?

Life post-college does not need to be depressing, it can be filled with happiness as you try to embrace the "adult" life.

19
I Graduated College? Now what?
Devin Kathleen Hogan

It is strange. We still feel the same. We still act the same. We still think the same. Essentially nothing has changed -- just our place in life. It was as if fingers should have snapped and shaped us, just like that, to be an "adult". But that is not the case... at all. And we may at some point have been antsy or excited to see what life would bring us after college saying at times, "I am ready to graduate" or "I am over the college drama" or maybe you were more like me, holding onto every possible moment left in college knowing these were "the best" moments of life. Despite your thoughts about this post-college life either wishing it to come or not, the real world has arrived. And if we were ready at one point now it seems we wish we could go back to college, or live through the “good old days” again.

We question how we will live without the long college breaks or being able play hooky whenever our heart desired.

But it seems no matter where we are in life we always want what is on the other side of the garden. And I think that is part of our problem to finding happiness in the moment.

Absolutely it sucks to grow up -- paying bills, fearing the next step, wondering where time went, questioning if you are doing what you "should" be doing or what you are "supposed" to be doing... and you can totally have these questions, fears and thoughts rattle your brain until you collapse or feel lost. And when it does, as it may, you need to find happiness in this life after college.

This transformation may actually feel like an electrifying shock, like moving to a Bedouin village in a foreign land alone and emerging yourself into their culture. It is scary, unknown, weird and uncomfortable. And we will feel this shock in all different ways and vibrations, but despite how hard or how long the shock lasts we can find happiness in this new stage. And college no longer has to be the "best time of your life" rather "the best time of your life" should be now.

Okay, it may be hard to actually feel like that could happen but there are ways. So I am lover for travel, adventure and living in the moment and it has been hard for me to find this desired happiness in my new life - but I am. So I am writing to you to connect and inspire you to find your happiness right here, right now.

Going back to the garden and wanting what you do not have, seeing that the roses appear redder on the other side. Well it is time you start watering the roses on your side and make them even brighter than the ones in the distance. Grow them and love them and soon you will feel your growth and the love rooted within you.

It is a mental game you play with yourself - when you are feeling down because you are not traveling the world or not in college anymore, while you are sulking at your desk, you have lost to your own game.

When you let yourself wander too far in your mind to where you wish you were someone else or somewhere else you have lost your own game. If you cannot win your own match how can you win in life? Well, you will not. You will stay lost in a foggy cloud wishing you were different, younger, not where you are whatever it may be... And with that kind of sky your roses will wither away. Your soul has lost its way and you have lost your spark.

And what is winning at life anyway? Well it is simply being happy within you in this moment-- loving your soul so much it radiates light onto all that is around.

I work the typical nine to five (no this writing gig is not my job, but that would be cool if it was) sitting in a chair as it rains more days than not and yes my mind wonders where I will venture to next or where this is leading me, but I do not let it take over and rule my mind. Because I know this post-college life is just starting and this is the beginning of my successful future as an adult. So this is when you have to ask yourself, how can I make this part of life even more exciting than my last chapter? How can I feel inspirational? Where can I discover this inspiration? First find these answers in you. And then let others and your hobbies add to your spark. Because, remember, you are the one who ignites your spark, no one else can.

You must understand why and how you are where you are. And so with that said you first must be okay with where you are. With who you are. With your present moment knowing your soul is guiding you.

It is easy to get consumed in relationships, in work, a diet and all that jazz and ignore you. But what is most important is in fact you, this is your life after all.

Second, you must know, embrace and accept why and how you are where you are. You are here because you are strong and brave. You are blessed because you have this opportunity to be where you are. You are built with character because the opportunity, the risk, the change you embraced was and, at times, is not easy.

It does not matter if you have a desk job, an internship, a few part-time jobs or if you are finding solid ground at your parents house -- you have accomplished enough to know you are strong, brave, blessed and most importantly worthy of being successful and loving your life. But the question turns to you, are you inspired and determined enough to be successful by believing in you, understanding you, your goals and allowing your talents to grow into the tallest, brightness most beautiful roses ever planted?

It is a tough question. But it is possible. If you can continuously remind yourself that your life as an independent being has just begun and it is your time to understand and embrace the power within you, to let your talents shine onto others and to the world. Then happiness will awaken throughout your being and as your garden grows the rose thorns will protect the mind as the buds bloom color for your soul to feel.

Until then, water your roses. Take care of your body and your mind. Commit to your garden. Keep your goals and dreams insight. Guard your roses. Protect your soul. And most of all, love your garden. Love you.

Next week there will be a continuation on this topic of post-college life. Feel free to comment or send me a message via social media for topics, tips, advice and/or thoughts… I love feedback and new perspectives!

DK