Government Gals Go To College

Living three hours away from home can be a difficult thing, especially when you see pictures on social media of your hometown, where you worked, your favorite hangout spot, and people. It makes you smile. Laugh. Shed a tear or two. It is all so normal and familiar looking. So homey and warm. Filled with sunshine and stress-free days. Home is a motivation tool for the finish line and reward for breaks and the end of the semester. This past year, even though this is my third year being away from home, has been the most homesick I have been. Freshman year was full of firsts and adjustments. Sophomore year was for “finding myself” and figuring out life as it was. Now, being a junior, I know what I want to do, where I want to live and be after I graduate, and nothing is really new about college, well besides the piles and piles of homework. This past summer, I met one of my now best friends. Not a day goes by now where we don’t talk to each other. Yes, we have days where time is limited and our conversations are short, but it is the journey of life and hardship of living 177.4 miles away from each other. Here is a list of things that occur when your best friend comes to visit you at college:

1. The excitement level 24 hours before

You can't even contain yourself because you are overjoyed to see a familiar face.

2. When they text you saying they have left and are “college bound”

PRODUCTIVITY LEVEL: DROPS TO ZERO

3. Dropping everything to answer their phone call saying they have arrived

Even if you are in the middle of class

4. Having them come to class with you, even if they don’t know what is going on

Welcome to college. The land of a higher education and the overuse of PowerPoints.

5. Checking in and receiving this mysterious “blue card” for authorization

You just don't even know what is going on anymore.

6. Meeting your friends

And they actually get along really well. (sigh of relief)

7. Then having people ask if you are sisters

Okay, I told some people she was. But we do look alike!

8. Going on adventures with them

9. FINALLY having someone to share inside jokes with

10. Making memes and snap chatting people when really you should be doing homework

11. Spending hours having #lifechats about anything and everything and nothing all at the same time

Making new memories too!

12. Making meals together

But really you both like the same types of food so you are all good.

13. Enjoying the time and the moment

Life is good. Then you think maybe I should drop out or you just go here too?

14. Saying “see ya laters” and having a brave smile on your face

But then that moment of reality sets in when they drive away and you shed a few tears or sadness, happiness of the time and memories, just a bunch of mixed emotions.

At the end of the day, you are grateful for their friendship. No matter the distance. No matter the months that go by without seeing one another. You know they will always be there for you and you will always be there for them.