Got Your Nose!

Got Your Nose!

Prevailing theories, straight from the Department of Mysteries to you, as to why Voldemort does not have a nose.

128
Got Your Nose!
favim.com

Undoubtably you all know his name. Who, you may ask? It is You-Know-Who . Him, the most feared wizard in Great Britain, the darkest wizard since the time of Grindelwald, the one and only true Heir of Slytherin, the Dark Lord. It is He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Tom Marvolo Riddle, or as he prefers to be called, Lord Voldemort.

Of course there are plenty of other brilliant names out there that can refer to our one and only Dark Lord. Some of my favorites include: Lord Thingy, Tommy, He-Who-Must-Be-Hyphenated, Voldy-Kins, Snake face, Cudlemort, Lord Moldy Shorts, and the one most relevant to this article, Ol' No Nose.

Why is it that our most fearsome Lord Thingy has no nose? Most would think that one of the most powerful wizards would be in full possession of all of his senses. Now, one could always go with the boring theory and listen to the sensible scholars, saying that the dark magic he used daily in conjunction with the horcrux rituals slowly altered his features into a more serpentine manner, resulting in no nose. However, where is the fun in that? Below we shall delve into the files of the Department of Mysteries to reveal the real theories on why the oh mighty, oh powerful Lord Moldy Shorts fails to have a nose.

1. Young Tommy missed Platform 9 3/4 and ran into another wall instead.

We all know it can be tough. First day of school, everyone is scared they are going to be late for class, lose their toad, set their teacher's hair on fire, you know how it goes. Perhaps little Tommy was in such a frantic rush to get to Hogwarts that he misread the signs and crashed into the wrong wall instead? Must be a tough way to start off your career at Hogwarts, missing a nose and all, but Hogwarts has time and time again proved that they are accepting of differences, right?

2. Harry played "got your nose" and won.

Whoops. Who knew that this kid would be the reason Voldy would lose his nose? Accidental magic would account potentially for this, if we ignore the fact that most kids only a year and a half old don't speak full sentences, but this is also the kid who remembers his parents dying and you know, is a wizard, so maybe conventional rules don't apply to him.

3. Tommy Boy got a pimple on his nose and tried to jinx it off.

Perhaps young Master Riddle was so desperate to get rid of his acne before seeing that fellow Slytherin girl he had a crush on, that he accidentally jinxed his nose off instead of just that pesky pimple. After all, this is the boy who has been know to have some pretty strong reactions to simple things, right?

4. Frostbite, it will get you every time.

Hey, those forests in Albania can get really chilly. During those years living as a spirit and inhabiting the bodies of snakes and small creatures, Lord Cudlemort could have picked up some frostbite and lost his nose on the way. Whoops.

5. The Weasley twin knocked it off or knocked it flat.

Remember in the first book of the series, how the Weasley twins spent Christmas day bouncing snowballs off the back of Quirrell's head? Taking into account that, spoiler alert, Voldemort was inhabiting the back of Quirrell's head during that time, perhaps the Weasley's impeccable aim either knocked off Lord Moldy Shorts' nose or simply flattened it into its slit like appearance that he has today.

6. Tommy boy met up with some of Aragog's descendants.

As Harry so eloquently puts it in the picture above, there are quite the pincers on Aragog and his descendants. Voldy could have gone wandering in the Forbidden Forest when he was in school, doing some dark things that budding Dark Lords do, when he came across the family of Acromantulas. Of course our wondrous Lord Voldemort would not lose his life to a simple family of overgrown spiders, however, he did lose his nose in the process. A battle scar to end all battle scars.

7. As a member of Evil Villains Club, Voldemort is not allowed to have a nose.

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is a true villain, he has got an evil nickname, an evil lair, an evil mascot, and evil groupies. All of these facts inducted our Voldy-kins into the Evil Villains Annonymous club (EVA for short). However there is a special requirement to get into this exclusive group, you can not have a nose. Now our little Tommy really wanted to be in this prestigious group, and got rid of his own nose so that he could join. Peer pressure at its finest.

8. Voldemort doesn't have time for nose problems.

Ol' No Nose has plenty to do on his plate already, he has got to conquer the wizarding world, stomp out that pesky Light movement, cow a bunch of muggles, feed his snake, and make sure to stop for tea before cursing his followers into fearing him. Point being, this Dark Lord is busy, and does not have time to deal with a runny nose. Maybe Voldemort purposefully removed his nose, or had a follower do it, the fact of it is, is that Voldy doesn't have to deal with sinus issues like you and me. Really, who ever followed a sniffling villain anyways?

9. Nagini ate it.

This snake is truly terrifying and nothing anybody will ever say will change my mind on this. Lord Thingy has a crazy powerful snake and we all just assume that she obeys his orders all the time. Anyone who has ever owned a pet knows that the animals do not listen 100 percent of the time, no matter how well trained they are. Maybe one day Nagini just thought Voldy's nose was looking particularly tasty, or maybe she was just angry at him and decided to take a bite. Either way, Nagini is scary and can totally eat your face.

10. Nose surgery gone wrong.

Poor Dark Lords just can't catch any break, can they? Snake face simply wanted to get a nose job done so that he could catch the eye of that pretty little witch hanging around Knockturn Alley. Unfortunately, the muggle plastic surgeons must have had too much to drink before work that day because they simply chopped it off. Now everyone knows why Voldemort wants to rule all the muggles. Revenge will be his.

11. Wormtail screwed up the potion.

I understand that weird, baby-like Dark Lords don't have much choice in their followers and pickers can't be choosers, and all that jazz, but really, who in their right mind would trust such an important ritual to Wormtail? Seriously, the man was the least clever of the Marauders, and he really seems to be a few knuts short of a sickle. Really, he does not seem capable of making a complex potion. Maybe he cut a Sopophorous Bean instead of crushing it, or threw in a whole Boomslang without skinning it. Honestly, you just can't trust anyone these days. If you want things done right, you got to do it yourself, or hire Alfred, you can always trust Alfred.

12. Fluffy Ate It.

Now Fluffy is adorable, but it is hard to keep track of all three heads at once, and one might have snuck around for a light Voldy snack while Quirrell was setting up the harp. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

13. It got moldy and fell off.

Peeves did say it after all. Voldy-mort is distinctly moldy at some periods of time. Perhaps when he died the first time his non-existent body got moldy and his nose fell off. When he was brought back by Wormtail's shoddy potion skills, perhaps the nose had permanently joined blue cheese and refused to form once again with Lord Moldy Shorts' body. I bet it was a shock for him when he saw his face in a mirror once again. Oops.

14. Voldemort's animagus is a snake.

I'm not pointing any fingers, but I would like to point out the man does have a lot of creepy snakey features. One reason this could be would be that Lord Thing's animagus is a snake, giving him some more snake-type features in his normal body. Don't worry, Tommy, we still love you even with your snake face. #nomakeup #nofilters #loveyourself #truebeautyisontheinside

15. Tumblr stole it.

Honestly, I just wanted to show this wonderful picture to you all. Honey Boo Boo probably didn't steal it, and neither did Tumblr. Although now that I am thinking about it, I have seen some pretty weird things on Tumblr... Food for thought I guess.

You have all now been read into the secret files that the Department of Mysteries have on Voldemort's nose. Make sure to use this information wisely, you never know when it might come in handy. I leave you with this:

Maybe this is the true reason why Dumbledore was the only wizard Voldemort ever feared. Hmmm.....