My Dream Law School Waitlisted Me And That May Have Been A Blessing

And being waitlisted is okay.

624
Stewart Inc.

Applying to Law School is all I have ever wanted to do. More than that I wanted to get not only accepted, but accepted to the place I dreamt of going to.

I decided when I was in high school that I wanted to pursue a law career. I fell in love with the aspects of law and everything else about it. I applied to one university, Campbell University, and got accepted with scholarships. My brother attended Campbell University, so I was familiar with the area and their reputation.

Once at Campbell University I declared a Pre-Law Political Science major. My classes have been very focused on politics, critical thinking, and analyzing. I fell in love with the material I was learning. It was a perfect fit for me. I could not only understand the material being taught to me, but I also enjoyed learning the material. I had always had the idea of law school in the back of my head but never truly thought I would be good enough to go. Second semester of my junior year I took a law class with my favorite professor. She gave us the 2007 LSAT to take and see how we did. Somehow I got a 155. This was a lot better than what I had originally expected. After taking that practice I began to express genuine interest in law school because I felt like I could get in.

Campbell University is known for many academic things: Pharmacy, Law, and Business. Since attending undergraduate at Campbell University I have am biased to want to attend Campbell’s Law School. Their law school has an incredible reputation. I applied to Campbell’s Law School back in November for early application. Early application is when a potential student really wants to go to a certain institution over any other institution. This shows the potential students preference. I did an early application to Campbell’s Law School because that is really where I wanted to attend law school.

In December I heard back with a some-what decision: Waitlist. I got waitlisted by the law school of my dreams. I am a very anxious person and I like to know things and where my life is going. Being waitlisted left me in limbo. This freaked me out entirely. I felt like I was not good enough and almost pulled my name from the waitlist. After taking a couple days to think about what I wanted to do, I decided to leave my name on the waitlist and look at other reputable law schools. Elon’s Law School is the next school I put my eyes on. I was skeptical about their institution but decided to give them a try.

I put in an application to Elon’s and heard back instantly. They wanted an interview with me! I scheduled an interview two weeks later and toured the law school. I seriously fell in love with the school and the faculty. My interviewer knew my application like the back of his hand. This really impressed me. We had a very interactive conversation about my application, the school, and random things as well. I was really impressed and amazed by this interaction and visit. I was almost more impressed with Elon than Campbell.

My status for Elon is pending as I just toured the law school. I should hear something back by the end of February. I am still on the waitlist for Campbell. I really am not sure what I will do if I get into back law schools. However, I thought that being waitlisted was the worst thing I could have gotten. In reality, being rejected would’ve been the worst. If I had not been waitlisted I would have never toured Elon. I learned to accept that while I may see something bad, it might truly be something good. While I am still uncertain of what my future holds, I am excited to hopefully start my career.

The lesson I have learned that it can always be worse. Also, just because you don’t get what you want, does not mean you won’t get something even better than what you thought. Also, do not be embarrassed because you got waitlisted. You still have a chance at being accepted, you never know!