Why Dairy Is Scary

Why Dairy Is Scary

Got milk?

354
Why Dairy Is Scary

Remember the got milk campaigns?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Got_Milk%3F

Displaying pictures of beautiful supermodels, actresses, and professional athletes sporting a thick white milk mustache. The ads used beautiful, thin, and athletic models to advertise and get people to drink more milk. But how can you be sure that the people behind those pictures practice what they preach? Well you can’t because the truth is they get paid to model for these advertisements, and they most likely don’t drink as much milk and dairy products as they portray. So is the dairy industry just trying to sell their products? Well yeah, the dairy industry rakes in about 11 billion per year, but why does the diet industry partake in this propaganda as well?

If the diet industry knows that people can maintain their weight easier on a "vegan" diet without diet supplements and pills and waist trainers, why would they recommend it? Its simple if more people limit or eliminate animal products from their diet, there will be less people fed up in their inability to lose weight and keep it off, meaning less consumption of their phony diet products and gimmicks.

The truth, all of my morals about animal rights aside, meat, dairy, and animal products are bad for you! Now before you write me off on this one give me a second to explain. The truth is the meat and dairy industry thrives off ignorance. The greater part of the world still has the misconception that if you don’t drink milk you will break a bone from lack of calcium, or that not eating meat will give you a protein deficiency. The truth is, that milk you just drank is straight fat and cholesterol that is meant for a baby calf to grow into a massive 1,400 pound animal. Not to mention we are the only species to drink milk after we’re grown, and also the only species to drink another animal's breast milk.

In addition to the fat and cholesterol you’re consuming, you also are consuming puss. Yeah, you heard right! PUSS. Pasteurized milk actually contains alarming levels of pus, or what the dairy industry likes to call somatic cells, the same thing as the juicy white liquid you see when you pop a pimple. The National Milk Producing Federation allows a maximum level of 750,000 pus cells per Milliliter of milk, meaning a tall cold 8 oz. glass of milk can contain up to 180,000,000 pus cells, yum! The pus is made by white blood cells produced by the cow in response to an infection in the mammary gland. How hot does that milk mustache look now?

Not only does milk contain alarming amounts of pus but rBGH, a steroid given to many milk producing cows to help them produce and pump more. Great, more milk! Unfortunately, this can cause infections in the cow's mammary glands as well as discomfort, it’s like a cow on crack, cocaine. rBGH is also known to trigger the growth of cancer. Indiana’s own Eli Lilly has been targeted by Indiana’s breast cancer foundation for manufacturing and profiting off of drugs for the treatment of breast cancer as well as giving the cancer growing hormone rBGH to cows to produce more milk. “Eli Lilly we see as a pink-washer,” Irish says, “because they are contributing to breast cancer through their selling of rBGH and then they also manufacturer breast cancer treatment drugs and a drug they claim prevents breast cancer so they’re really profiting… there’s a full cycle of profits here that seems really unfair to us.” Spokesperson Kim Irish.

So, when questioning dairy on the health benefits for humans it's best to look for scientific evidence, rather than personal opinions or myths. Let's hear what a doctor has to say about dairy and its effects on human health.

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/breast-cancer-a...

Truth about dairy

According to Dr. Willett, who has done many studies and reviewed the research on this topic, there are many reasons to pass up milk, including the following.

Milk doesn’t reduce fractures.

Contrary to popular belief, eating dairy products has never been shown to reduce fracture risk. In fact, according to the Nurses’ Health Study dairy may increase risk of fractures by 50 percent!

Less dairy, better bones.

Countries with lowest rates of dairy and calcium consumption (like those in Africa and Asia) have the lowest rates of osteoporosis.

Calcium isn’t as bone-protective as we thought.

Studies of calcium supplementation have shown no benefit in reducing fracture risk. vitamin D appears to be much more important than calcium in preventing fractures.

Calcium may raise cancer risk.

Research shows that higher intakes of both calcium and dairy products may increase a man’s risk of prostate cancer by 30 to 50 percent. Plus, dairy consumption increases the body’s level of insulin-like growth factor-1(IGF-1) — a known cancer promoter.

Calcium has benefits that dairy doesn’t.

Calcium supplements, but not dairy products, may reduce the risk of colon cancer.

Not everyone can stomach dairy.

About 75 percent of the world’s population is genetically unable to properly digest milk and other dairy products -- a problem called lactose intolerance.

Based on such findings, Dr. Willet has come to some important conclusions:

Everybody needs calcium.

Calcium probably doesn’t prevent broken bones.

Men may not want to take calcium supplements.

Dairy may be unhealthy.

Advocating dairy consumption may have negative effects on health.

If all that isn’t enough to swear you off milk, there are a few other scientific findings worth noting. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently asked the UDSA to look into the scientific basis of the claims made in the “milk mustache” ads. Their panel of scientists stated the truth clearly:

Milk doesn’t benefit sports performance.

There’s no evidence that dairy is good for your bones or prevents osteoporosis — in fact, the animal protein it contains may help cause bone loss!

Dairy is linked to prostate cancer.

It’s full of saturated fat and is linked to heart disease.

Dairy causes digestive problems for the 75 percent of people with lactose intolerance. Dairy aggravates irritable bowl syndrome

Simply put, the FTC asked the dairy industry, “Got Proof?” And the answer was no! Plus, dairy may contribute to even more health problems, like allergies, sinus problems, ear infections, type 1 diabetes, chronic constipation and anemia (in children).

Due to these concerns, many have begun to consider raw milk an alternative. But that isn’t really a healthy form of dairy either. Yes, raw, whole, organic milk eliminates concerns like pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and the effects of homogenization and pasteurization but, to me, these benefits don’t outweigh dairy’s potential risks.

From an evolutionary point of view, milk is a strange food for humans. Until 10,000 years ago we didn’t domesticate animals and weren’t able to drink milk (unless some brave hunter-gather milked a wild tiger or buffalo!). If you don’t believe that, consider this: The majority of humans naturally stop producing significant amounts of lactase -- the enzyme needed to properly metabolize lactose, the sugar in milk -- sometime between the ages of two and five. In fact, for most mammals, the normal condition is to stop producing the enzymes needed to properly digest and metabolize milk after they have been weaned.

Our bodies just weren’t made to digest milk on a regular basis. Instead, most scientists agree that it’s better for us to get calcium, potassium, protein, and fats from other food sources, like whole plant foods -- vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds and seaweed.