Gospel Vs Religion

Gospel Vs Religion

Have faith in a gospel, not a religion.

38
Gospel Vs Religion

I was raised in the LDS church; I'm one of the Mormons. Being from Utah, I never really understood the significance of that sentence. Almost everyone I knew was LDS, so I never had to answer questions or feel like I stood apart from anyone or anything. I took my religion for granted because it was easy for me to believe it was the only thing out there, even with a Catholic church right across the street. Believe me, I know how naive that is, but that was my childhood.

I don't regret growing up LDS. It's one of the greatest blessings in my life. I think any member of a dedicated religion would say the same thing. Faith is what gives people hope, and faith in any religion is a huge part of what makes people who they are. However, since coming to college, I've learned that having faith in a gospel and having faith in a religion are not the same thing. Religions are not perfect, because they are full of human members. And humans, as we all know, are the furthest thing from perfection.

Having faith in a religion can at times be something that just sets you up for disappointment. People are careless and even selfish, they don't think about the way their actions affect anyone else, or how those actions reflect on their gospel. I have heard so many stories about the thoughtless actions of LDS people that led to someone leaving the church. In a different life, I could have been one of those people who gave up on faith because they were offended. It's real, it happens, and it's certainly not fair or right. It's far too easy to be hurt by someone's actions. Sadly, I think most of the time, people don't even realize what they've done.

This is why faith in a gospel is so important. In the LDS church, we believe the gospel was given to us by God and Jesus Christ, hence the reason the church is called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. If Christ Himself, being the perfect Son of God that He is, restored the gospel we believe and preach, then it must be perfect. This is what I believe. I know there are other religions out there with similar beliefs about the gospel they follow, that God gave it to them. Faith in a gospel given by God cannot be a disappointment, because God loves us all too much to ever disappoint or hurt us. He gave us true gospel so we can find comfort and hope through the disappointments and pains of life.

That's not to say faith is always easy, or that it's not difficult at times to remember God's love for us. I know how hard it can be, and how much easier it is to just stop trying. Life is hard, and sometimes, it doesn't feel like faith makes it any easier. But the truth is still there for us, if we're willing to have faith. Believe in what gives you hope. Have faith in your true gospel, because God's word will never let you down.