Goodbyes Are Never Easy, But I'm Still Smiling With Tears On My Face
Life Stages

We have to keep moving no matter how much we want to stay in a certain moment.

227
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-standing-on-gravel-2052251/

This is hard.

A part of me knew deep down that this day would come. I just didn't know how soon it would be. I find it hard to believe that it's been well over two years. When I was a Senior in college who was having a tough time with school, boys, and life. Who just needed some sort of an escape from the real world.

So, I applied to write for Odyssey. And I can honestly say it has helped shape me into the writer I am today and without it, I don't think I would be where I am right now.

Odyssey gave me a voice when I didn't think it was worth sharing my words that I so desperately wanted to say and have come out of my mouth after many years of keeping quiet.

Odyssey gave me the chance to write about things that laid so heavily on my chest. Whether it was my parent's divorce, alcoholic father, mental illness, or a breakup.

Odyssey gave me opportunities outside of them that has made my writing expand well into other realms and websites besides this one. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have gotten both of my internships or still be getting opportunities to write for other platforms. It was these articles I wrote on here that I would send as writing samples to other places and I'm forever grateful for it.

Odyssey gave me the chance to use my words for good and get out my own thoughts and opinions on topics that I believe in and stand by.

Odyssey gave me the chance to be vulnerable and honest, something I was never confident in doing. But it took heartbreak for me to realize I still have a voice and power.

Odyssey gave me lifelong friends whose talent I strive to even come close to someday.

Odyssey gave me the chance to connect with authors, writers, and poets whose work has inspired me. To have them read my writing is everything I could've wished for and more.

I'm going to miss this so much. But we have to keep moving no matter how much we want to stay in a certain moment or time.

When I was young, I wrote a "book." It was roughly fifty pages long and was written on colored notebook paper that had my spelling quizzes my mom used to do for me for school on the back of it. I still keep that book with me in my desk drawer to this day to tell me to keep going forward where one day my writing will be in a bookstore.

My mom has always told me to dream and go after what I want and believe in. She's the reason I keep doing what I love because there was never a time that she didn't think I couldn't do something. So mom, thank you, I love you for believing in my ridiculous dreams, for driving almost two hours away with me to meet my favorite author, for buying me books for my birthday and Christmas every year since I could read, and for supporting me through grad school.

To anyone that has ever come up to me and told me my writing has helped them through something in their life, thank you. You don't know how much that means to me.

I always said when I started putting my writing out there that it didn't matter to me how many people viewed my writing or liked it. All I wanted to accomplish was for just one person to read it and be able to relate or get something out of it. I've exceeded my expectations and that blows my mind.

To anyone that has ever liked, commented, shared, told their friends about my writing or just took the time out of their day to read what I had to say, thank you so so much. It brings tears to my eyes knowing there are people out there who support me.

I've always been told that I shouldn't bother with wanting to be a writer and have that for a career because it's pointless and won't make me a lot of money. I don't care about others opinions because I do this for me because it makes me happy and I would rather struggle but know I get to do what I love every day with a genuine smile on my face.

My life has not been easy, and you know from my writing. But I've learned to smile through the tears and laugh through the pain because no matter what happens you're doing your best and you're alive and you're still finding a way to keep moving.

That shy little girl who used to read in her bedroom and write poems and notes in her journals is now putting them out there for the world to see and she's more outspoken with her words than ever before. She's come a long way and I'm so happy.

This may be my last article on here, but I'm nowhere near done with writing. You'll see me soon.

And to all the boys who have come and gone in my life, and the one I hope stays, thank you for all the inspiration.

See you soon.