Goodbye To My Most Toxic Friend

Goodbye To My Most Toxic Friend

We have been through a lot together but it is time to say goodbye.

473
Goodbye To My Most Toxic Friend
Ashley Barron

My mom called me earlier this week and her first words were, "I need you to stop vaping. There have been too many deaths." Those words hit me like a train. Here I am inhaling chemicals into my lungs and not even knowing what exactly is in them.

If you were to have told me five years ago that I was going to die, I would have said I did not care. Now, I do. I know the future I want for myself. I know what I want to achieve. I know what I want to do. I do not want to die, not even close. I want to live, I want to change lives, I want to be the difference someone sees in the world.

I do not want to be a headline on the news that says, "teen dies from vaping." I want to be the headline that says, "teen spends her free time with orphans."

I do not want to die by something I could have potentially prevented. I do not want to die by vaping. Three years vaping is a long time and I would absolutely hate to see how my lungs look. Which is why I am seeking change. I'm 18 years old with a nicotine addiction, just like half of my generation.

I want my life back, the life where it did not revolve around vaping. The life where I could hang out with people and not feel the need to smoke. Where I could go out and not be addicted to something I truly do not need.

I am going back towards a smoke-free life. I am getting my life back one day at a time. If I can make it through this addiction, you can too.

So, to my vape, we are done. And as Taylor Swift says, "we are never getting back together."