A Goodbye Letter to My Forever

A Goodbye Letter to My Forever

We had it all planned out and now we have nothing.

1218

Dear Happily Ever Never,

I hope you're doing well. I don't mean that in some sarcastic, tail hole kind of way. I genuinely mean it. I hope you're well and happy because I am. I didn't think it possible. I really didn't. There are some moments when I still don't think it's possible. You were such a huge part of my life. And if I'm being honest with myself, there's a hole where you were. There are no more good morning or goodnight texts. There are no more calls just to say hey. No more snap chats of our songs. We don't share stuff on Facebook or tag each other in pictures anymore. Our relationship status' are back to what they were 10 months ago.

I'm not going to lie, a change that drastic sucks. For nine months you were my life. We fought and made up, laughed and cried. We met each other's families and friends. We became each other's faimily. You were my best friend, my anchor, my shoulder to cry on, my motivation. We had everything figured out. You were going to be my forever. We were going to conquer anything and everything. We were the perfect couple.

But somewhere along the way, I lost myself. I became your girl. That's even how I introduced myself from time to time. My schedule revolved around you, even from miles away. I stayed in my room. I didn't do anything outside of class and softball. But it still wasn't enough. I had given you everything that I could, short of quitting school and moving back. But somewhere else along the way, you gave up. You quit trying to be the man I fell in love with. You quit believing in me, in us. You wanted the future so bad that you lost focus on the now. Then you did the one thing you said you never would. You quit fighting.

We weren't perfect but together I felt like we could overcome everything. But everything got the best of us and that's okay. Sometimes we are only meant to play a role in someone's life for a short while even though we would like for it to be a permanent role. Sometimes all we are meant for is 9 months when we dreamed of forever. And when that "sometimes" happens, you're left to pick up the pieces. I'm left mailing your stuff back and seeing what seems like a happy you on social media. I'm stuck trying to find something that isn't attached to you, knowing that everything has some sort of memory. I'm turning the station when our songs come on. I'm saying goodbye.

You'll always have a place in my heart. There's no doubt about that. A love that burns as hot and fast as ours did will always leave a mark. I'm picking up my pieces, but I'm okay. I hope you are, too. I'll leave you with Dolly's famous words,

"I hope life treats you kind, and I hope that you have all that you ever dreamed of and I wish you joy and happiness. But above all of this, I wish you love and I will always love you"