Goodbye To The Fall Semester And Hello To The Spring Semester

My New Year's resolution for next semester.

7
Ian White

The first semester of college for me is done, and I have learned a lot. But next year I want to make my semester better. I realized that there are some changes I could make in my college lifestyle. Here are some things that I plan on doing differently next semester. You could say it is sort of a New Year's resolution, except it is primarily for next semester.

My goals for the new spring semester ahead:

1. I need to get more sleep than last semester.

I need to set a steady sleep schedule and make sure I get enough sleep each day. I want to end every day of next semester with enough sleep.

2. Bring fewer things to college for the spring semester.

I've come to learn that you don't need your whole room to live in college, in fact, it is actually cleaner if you don't. Sometimes I can even be distracted by all the stuff I have on my dresser or bookshelf. Lots of people don't have an issue with having too much stuff in college, and it seems like I am the only one who feels like it. When packing for the spring semester, I will definitely be taking a moment to consider what I really need in my dorm.

3. Create a good daily routine that balances social time with homework time.

Last semester, I was a bit too social, and too much of my homework time was spent trying to complete last minute tasks.

4. Take better advantage of the library's quiet and distraction-free environment to study or just do homework.

Last semester I just did school work in my room, but I would always be distracted whenever someone passed my door, or by my suite mates interesting conversations.

5. Eat healthier.

They say you are what you eat, but that's not necessarily true. For me, I get to feel like the foods I eat. If I eat junk food, I feel like junk the next day. I've have never heard of a piece of junk successfully writing a 5-page essay.

6. Be smart with my money.

I need to remember that no matter how cool the object is, I don't need to waste money on it.

7. Be on the computer less.

Or at least I should not waste my time watching everyone's Vlogs.

8. Spend more time praying.

I seem to have been slacking lately. No matter how often you pray, you should always strive to pray more.

9. Stepping out of my comfort zone.

Ok, so I have already done that by going to college, but I need to do things that will help me out... Like actual exercising ...

10. Exercising more.

Being late for a class only seems like it works well. It has given me the motivation to run two steps at a time to the top of a hill, then run some more up 3 flights of stairs to my classroom, which makes for an average workout. But that also comes with some unneeded stress. In order to enjoy a stress-free exercise routine, I should definitely take advantage of the trails on the campus and walk more often, maybe even do some trail running. Anyone up for a run on the trails with me?

These ten resolutions are like a lot of the resolutions that you would see your mom and dad write; things like exercising more, sleeping better and eating healthier. In the Foxtrot Comic strips, these would be the stereotypical New Year's goals that are forgotten and almost never achieved. But how you go about planning and executing your New Year's resolutions will determine if you will be able to successfully work to be the better person you want to be next year.

Create a realistic goal for your next semester in school, or even just for the whole year in general. Create a New Year's resolution list that you know can be completed. Make sure it's not too difficult or far out. I think it's best to create a list that you can do every day, or on any given day.

Don't put down that you want to loose 20 pounds, instead put down that you want to try and exercise more, and eat better. End goals are good, but after you reach your goal, you lose the motivation that stemmed from wanting to achieve a goal, and it will be easier to forget and stop maintaining the daily things that you've changed or implemented.

Think about what can we do differently next year and start with daily tasks and little changes you can do to be the best you want to be. There may not be a reward each day, but don't lose hope and keep striving to be the better person you really want to be. You will soon start to see that your effort to be a better person opens up opportunities and makes the interactions between the environment and the people around you so much better.

Start small. Make a list of areas that can be easily fixed or improved. Implement it on a day to day basis. Put your mindset into what you want to achieve. And if you implement small New Years resolutions every day, you will see big changes in your life.

To wrap it up, here is how my small changes will have a big impact in my overall semester.

If I follow my simple goal of getting the right sleep and exercising more every day, I know that I will be able to think well and I'll feel way more confident in myself.

On top of that, if I sleep more, I'll be able to stay awake for my classes, which eliminates the need to deprive myself of social time to catch up on my class work. For me, that's more than enough motivation to get enough sleep every day of next semester. But wait, there's more! Since I will have paid attention in class, I will be able to do my homework quicker, and I can ace my tests. If this stays like this, I will be able to have plenty of social time, and still pass my classes with flying colors. All I need to change is my sleeping habits. When I set a sleep schedule, then I don't worry about falling asleep and being late or sleeping when I should be doing homework.

Make your list. It can be of your New Year's resolutions, it could be your better semester list. Reflect upon this year, and what you have gained from it.

There's a lot to learn next semester. I plan to make my next semester better and learn from whatever comes my way. It was a good fall semester, but I am ready to make next semester even better. Thanks to all of those who made this semester amazing!

Thanks for reading!

~Merry Christmas, and have a Happy New Year!~