Good Gifts & Bad Gods

Good Gifts & Bad Gods

We're blessed, but let's not be blinded

61
Good Gifts & Bad Gods

I recently read Not Yet Married by Marshall Segal. It discusses how to biblically navigate a not-yet-married life. In it, he mentions that "marriage is a good gift, but a bad god." That phrase helped so many things click for me. God has provided us with a plethora of good gifts while on this side of eternity but none of them can replace Him.

In FCA, we're studying through Romans. Our leader pointed out that frequently we have worship problems that grow into bigger, more obvious problems of sin in our life. Simply taking our eyes off the Lord and looking to something else is totally detrimental to our lives.

Creation needs the Creator.

Despite the countless times you might've heard that phrase, it's extremely true. We weren't meant to do life alone or even just as ourselves. When we're born again, we're given the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, a wonderful helper and friend to guide us in the ways of righteousness (John 14:16, Rom. 8:26). We have to constantly keep our eyes on the prize—Jesus Christ (Matt. 6:33).

When we allow other things to seep into our lives as idols, everything gets thrown off. Looking to anything else will only prove to be fatal. Looking to satisfaction, affirmation, love, intimacy, attention, or service in our relationships, work, academics, athletics, social media, or entertainment takes a good gift and makes it a god.

How do we fight it?

It's simpler than you'd think. Praying and picking up your Bible every day is more important than we'd like to realize. Prayer and daily reading of The Word is vital. It's how we fight our battles (Matt. 26:41). But, more than all of that, it's how Jesus lived. It's recorded throughout the Gospels that he frequently went to a quiet place to pray (Matt. 14:23, Mark 1:35, Luke 5:16). And, He fought Satan's temptations in the wilderness through his knowledge of the Word (Matt. 4:1-11). Our goal is to be more like Christ and less like our sinful selves, which only comes through more time with Him.

What's next?

I encourage you, right now, to just take 10 minutes. Maybe you haven't picked up your Bible in a few days or a few years, but I know God never moves (Rom. 8:38-39). He's always right there, waiting for us to run into His open arms. So run. Thank Him for being here for you, apologize for not being there with Him (He ~always~ forgives), and have a chat with Him.