Good Communication Is Important
relationships

Good Communication Is Important In Any Relationship

One of the most important things in relationships, whether it's a friendship, dating, or hook-ups, is communication.

45

Before I entered my first romantic relationship, I didn't realize the value of communication, and how it plays a role in your relationships with everyone in your life. Good communication skills, such as being able to open up about your thoughts and feelings, are essential for a healthy, nurturing relationship between two people.

Remember that relationships are a two-way street - both sides must be willing to put in the effort to make it work. When one doesn't put in as much effort as the other, that will often lead to issues and conflicts that can threaten the relationship.

People communicate through a variety of ways, from words to actions and facial expressions. Often, when someone is upset or sad, their emotions will show in how they talk or act. When you decide not to communicate these negative thoughts and feelings, you start bottling them up inside you, creating stress and anxiety.

I've learned that it's important to confront these issues by communicating them respectfully and to be truthful in a relationship. When you are honest about what you want, what you feel, what you think, it will help open the path for a relationship to solve issues and conflicts.

Good communication also doesn't mean you have to constantly talk or text someone all the time. Every person needs space and alone time once in a while, and you have to allow each other that in every relationship.

When it comes to hook-ups and casual dating, good communication is arguably the most vital aspect of the relationship. Boundaries must be set, and expectations are made in terms of what both sides of the relationship want out of it.

If you don't want a committed relationship and only want something casual, it's important to communicate that first-hand to the other person. And vice versa - if you want to date and not just be a hook-up, communicate that as well. This will help clarify any mixed feelings, confusions, and issues in a relationship.

If you're not comfortable with something, COMMUNICATE. I can't tell you how many times I've been in situations where I've felt uncomfortable, but I didn't speak up because I didn't know how to communicate beforehand. If you don't want to do something, you must communicate that to the other person. Consent is a part of good communication.

With each relationship, you learn more and more about how YOU personally communicate. Not everyone's way of communicating is the same, so become aware of your own styles of communication, so that you can foster healthy communication in all your relationships