To An Old Pal And A Very Good Boy

To An Old Pal And A Very Good Boy

You were my little puppy and I never thought you'd get old.

9
To An Old Pal And A Very Good Boy
Jack

Dear Jack,

I know you can't read this. I know that. After all, you're a dog and I'm a human. But for now, let's pretend that you can; even for a moment. Because I have some things that I want to say, some things that I wish I could have told you. Something's that I wish you could understand.

You will always be my special boy. I know it didn't always seem like that, especially when I'd yell at you for barking or shoo you away from the dinner table. But you were, you still are. I remember the day we brought you home, almost exactly eleven years ago. You were this tiny, energetic ball of fluff and I knew right then and there that I loved you. That I would want to pick you up and never let go.

Of course, it didn't take you long to get bigger and soon I couldn't pick you up so easily anymore. Not that you cared, of course. After all, even when you weighed over fifty pounds and your head was past my waist, you always thought your place was in my lap or at Rusty's side.

I think my favorite thing you did, was how you always loved to be right there when we (my family) was waking up. I don't know how many times that I've opened my sleep-crusted eyes to find your nose practically pressed up against mine and your tail wagging behind you. Of course, if I took too long to wake up, you'd swat at my chest until I would get the ball rolling.

And the thing is, you never really did ever stop doing that, getting excited when I'd wake up. In fact, it was only this past summer that I woke up with you straight up sitting on me because I was taking too long to get out of bed. It didn't stop there, either. It didn't matter if I'd be gone for ten minutes, ten hours, or even a few weeks, you were always beyond happy to see me.

Another one of my favorite things about you was how empathetic you were. No matter how minor the incident, you always knew when something was bothering me. I remember, back in high school when I'd be crying my eyes out over God knows what, and then you'd come into my room and sit with me. It was such a minor action, but it made all the difference in the world, because you were there. Because you knew.

And right now, as I write this, there isn't anything I want more than for you to be sitting with me or putting your head on my leg. You were my little puppy and I never thought you'd get old. But you did... and then you got sick. I know we already said our goodbyes. I know you're already gone and I know you're in a better place. But all the same, I want you to know how special you were to me.

How much I loved you.

How much I miss you.

How at the end of the day, you're always going to be my special boy.

I love you, Jack-Jack... Rest easy now.