The teachings of Christ have often been interpreted as a call for pacifism, amnesty and enablement because of Biblical passages such as the following:

" Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back." (Luke 6:28-30)
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:34-35)

Now, these quotes are true, beyond all reasonable doubt, however these make no allusions to pacifism, or amnesty or yielding to the bystander effect. This is despite the fact that at first glance one would assume that that is what is alluded to. What Jesus mentions in these two quotations is strictly in reference to whatever actions are done to an individual. To a nation's people, or to the followers of Christ himself however, war is justified for the sake of defending both the defenseless, as well as the teachings of Christ from those that seek to harm or eradicate either one. I recognize that the above quotations have been stressed ad infinitum over the course of the past 2,000 years (give or take) that they are perceived as banal platitudes and/or common knowledge, yet there are still those that perceive them as a sort of "slave morality". Such was the case in Mexico in the 1920's, under the strongly anti-Catholic president Plutarco Elias Calles.

A 33rd degree Freemason, as well as a promoter of many socialist policies in Mexico, Calles was strongly against the very existence of the Catholic Church. His presidency included the enforcement of anti-clerical laws within the Mexican Constitution of 1917. Several peaceful, non-violent protests rose up consisting primarily of Mexican peasants however, in 1926 Calles strengthened his anti-clericalism instituting the anti-theistic Calles Laws, imposing fines on priests for wearing their clerical garb in public, restricting the amount of priests to one per state, the seizure and/or destruction of Church land and properties, and criminalizing Catholic education, in favor of Socialist education. Several peasant revolts later ensued.

These peasants calling themselves "The Cristeros" consisted of farmers and other peasant folk, as well as other devout Catholics willing to fight in defense of the Church, as well as priests and other peasants who were violently slaughtered through the enforcement of the Calles Laws. They shouted "Viva Cristo Rey" (Long live Christ the king) as an act of defiance of Calles' oppressive regime. One of the most notable peasants that was persecuted in the name name of Calles was Jose Sanchez del Rio. A boy no older than 14, he was tortured and then executed by being stabbed by a bayonet, because he refused to denounce his Catholic faith. The government even tried to break his spirit by hanging another Cristero in front of him. Now tell me with a straight face and a full heart that these brutal actions, were the just actions of a virtuous government, undeserving of opposition. That the protection of Catholic beliefs were not only illegal, but unjustified. That the slaughter of 50,000 individuals was a necessary evil.

The bodies of Cristeros were often publicly displayed for extended periods, to discourage support for the Cristeros and warn them of what would happen for defiance of Calles.

If such things were occurring to your friends, if they were tortured and publicly displayed, because they stood in defiance of a government that removed their right to religious liberty, and their right to defend that liberty, would you just stand by and let it happen? I should certainly hope not. The reason I bring up this violent conflict between church and state is this: the golden rule, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is true, but when there is an evil that threatens the well being of others, you should act in defense of them. Say to those who would harm them, "If you want to get to them, you have to go through me", and if others have even a shred of humanity, they would rise up and assist you. So I will offer you three more bible verses:

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves." (Matthew 21:12-13)
"There is no greater love than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)
"Therefore, whoever knows the right thing to do, yet fails to do it, is guilty of sin" (James 4:17)

You see the idea of "love one another, as I have loved you" is not wholly in alignment with pacifism. You should not leave yourself or others defenseless for the sake of being nice to one another to the point of apathy. Serve one another, by protecting them. Your life, your safety and your own welfare do not matter when there are those that need to be defended. You should protect your friends, and others in need, your family and your faith in God for their sake and for the sake of those teachings which the policies of Plutarco Elias Calles and the Mexican government still seek to eradicate to this day. Thank you for reading this, and Viva Cristo Rey.