Going Abroad Guide For The Upcoming Fall Semester Travelers

The Ultimate Study Abroad Guide For The Upcoming Fall Semester Travelers

Here's everything you need to know before you pack your bags and travel the world.

133

Studying abroad is argued as being one of the best parts of the entire college experience, and this fall, I'm going to be able to see if this statement is true. I can't wait to be able to travel all throughout different countries in Europe with my friends, where we'll be trying new things, visiting cool places and landmarks, and making some of the best memories. Although it's still only a few months away, preparing to go abroad is essential because you want to have the right things to pack, ideas on what you want to do while you're abroad and much more. So if you're going abroad soon in the Fall, here are some tips on what you should try to do while you're there.

1. Do your research 

Find multiple reviews and suggestions online on landmarks to visit, restaurants to dine at, and things to do while you're abroad. That way, once you're there you'll have a less stressful time figuring out all of things that you want to do and will have a concrete plan.

2. Start saving up now and throughout the summer

Studying abroad is anything but cheap, so if you want to enjoy yourself and have fun while you're abroad, start saving your money now so you aren't limited to doing certain things. It also might be beneficial to get a credit or debit card before leaving.

3. Set goals for yourself

Do you want to learn a new language, or travel to as many places on your bucket list as possible, or maybe even learn how to be more independent? Make a list with a few important things you want to accomplish while studying abroad so you go into the experience with an agenda that will essentially keep you driven and focused.

4. Document. Everything.

This is probably going to be the only time in your life where you can say that you'll be living in another country for a few months, so it's important that you try to document all of the fun memories you're making that you can look back at later in life. Whether it's pictures on your phone or with a journal, find a useful and consistent way to snapshot all of the fun things you're doing and learning.

5. Keep an open mind and try new things

It's often common to go into a new country with a few pre-conceived stereotypes in your head, but instead of doing this, try to open your eyes and mind and embrace the culture you're immersing yourself in. Learn more about the culture, interact with locals, eat new foods, and so on. You'll most likely find that some of the stereotypes you originally believed were incorrect and will leave with a different perspective.

6. Plan a consistent schedule for when you'll contact friends and family

Remember that you'll be in a different time zone than all of your loved ones, so try to find accommodating times for everyone where you'll be able to talk to everyone back home. Having this consistent schedule will help combat any feelings of possible homesickness and will help you be prepared for when you go abroad, since it will give you something to look forward to each week.

7. Don't forget to travel

While you're already going to be in another country for study abroad, there are also so many other places that you'll have the opportunity to visit. Make plans with friends and discover which other countries or cities that you want to travel to during your time abroad, since there's always so much to see and do when you have free time and aren't in class.