God Is Here

God Is Here

God's presence is evident through His people.

128
God Is Here
Unsplash

(This is a follow-up article to my previous article, "Where Is God?". If you have not read it yet, find it here.)

They saw that the world was burning.

In response to the California wildfires, dozens of fundraising pages have been set up, including one by Ellen DeGeneres that has raised over $30,000 in support of victims of the California wildfires. Volunteers have opened their homes through Airbnb. Californians and non-Californians alike have donated their money and time to ensure that victims are cared for and can begin rebuilding their lives.

They saw that the world was drowning.

In response to the damage done by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico,World Central Kitchen, an organization that understands the power of a meal, has initiated and carried out the preparation of over 80,000 meals for the people of San Juan. Neighbors are helping neighbors repair windows, remove debris, and restore life to the community ravaged by the storms. Though power is still out for most of the island, light shines through the people.

They saw that the world was suffering.

In response to the Las Vegas shooting, blood banks were overwhelmed by lines of people to donate blood in Las Vegas and the surrounding cities. Over $11 million was raised within the last month to benefit the victims of the shooting, and money is still being raised. Within 24 hours of the massacre, Las Vegas came together to support its own as well as the multiple victims who were from other parts of the United States.

We are sometimes quicker to showcase the flaws than we are to highlight the perfections.

Admit it: we are all guilty at one time of paying more attention to the horrors we have seen than the beauty we ignore. We point out the evils that have occurred and wonder where God is and how God could let something like this happen; when His presence is evident, however, we are not looking for it. In my previous article, I shared about the evils we see around us and the feeling of not knowing where God is. I believe it is our perception that needs to change and not God's location. It is not that God is purposefully hiding away from those who seek Him, but rather that we are too focused on the events in which we accuse Him of being absent to see that His presence is through His people.

I have already addressed the first half of Psalm 13, where David cries out for God to show Himself because David cannot see Him. In verses 5 and 6, however, David's tone changes:

"But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing the Lord’s praise,
for he has been good to me."

God is here.

We can see His promise in Deuteronomy 31:6 that He "will never leave you nor forsake you." He gives us hope even in difficult times that when we cry out to Him, He will hear us. God is working through the volunteers, the donators, and the neighbors to help those who were affected by these tragedies. Though we cannot see Him physically, we can see His hands prompting people to give of their time and their resources to help others. This is God's presence. He never changes, He never leaves us, and His love never fails. I cannot answer why certain events happen in this world; I only know that because there is sin, there will be evil and hurt along with it. But, there is also God. He trumps all evil.

For God's presence to be seen, we first need a change of heart. We need to understand that God is not floating around with a billboard that screams, "Look at me and what I can do!" Often, His work is done directly through His followers; we need to embrace this as the essence of who He is, and we need to open our hearts to Him working through us. Secondly, we need to be active. This is definitely in prayer, but it is also in equal parts action. We are called to go and do as well as pray, and this is how people can see good growing from evil. God does not need us, but He uses us if we are willing. This is how we can see the good in a situation. This is how we can see God.

If you are looking for ways to do:

- Donate to the victims of Hurricane Maria, the California wildfires, and/or the Las Vegas shooting.

- Volunteer in your community to help those who are in need.

- Offer your home (or your dinner table) to cultivate fellowship and conversation about how we can be better voices for God's presence.

We have so many opportunities to share God's presence with others, so let us take advantage of them and show people that God is here and He loves us.

John 13:34-35 - A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”