10 Things For CSM Students To Do Before They Graduate

Goals for my victory lap

271
Denver The Mile High City

As an engineering student it's pretty common to tack on an extra year of school before you graduate, whether it be from retaking classes or pacing yourself to prevent giving yourself a hernia. Now many college students will try to figure out how to make their senior year great, their last hurrah before going out into the real world and going their separate ways from their college cronies. After having a lot of friends graduate this past year and talking to them about what they wish they would have done in college and what they're going to miss I want to make sure that I take full advantage of what my friends and I call my victory lap. I get a whole extra year at college to make memories, put off adult responsibility and a chance to further explore Golden. So here are 10 goals of mine for my victory lap that many people can get a head start on so they don't have to cram it all in one year.

1. Skydive/parachute/hang glide off of Mt. Zion

If you've been in Golden on a nice sunny day, there is a pretty good chance you've seen someone skydiving or hang-gliding near Mt. Zion. This has always been something I've wanted to do since I've found out about it, and many of my friends even said they wish they had done it before they graduated. Not only would it be a great life experience, but it would also give a great aerial view of CSM.

2. Visit the steam tunnels.

There are a series of steam tunnels underneath the CSM campus and to those with an exploration wild side that likes to take them to places they aren't necessarily supposed to go, these are supposed to be great. I've had friends that have gone and said the tunnels were spooky, cool, and somewhere any CSM student should go before they graduate.

3. Do the full Coors tour

Now if you're a student at Mines, you've probably heard of Coors Lab and the short tour where you go to the Coors factory and just go to the tasting room and get your three free beers. Some people don't ever do the full tour but if you're like me and like to see how things are made and the process that goes into making from start to finish then this would be a great tour for to see how one of America's favorite brews is made. Plus you get free beer.

4. Ore Cart Pull

I'm actually a little shocked and a little disappointed in myself for having gone through four years at Mines and not participated in the Ore Cart pull. Trekking down Colfax with all your friends and hundreds of other students has been the subject of many great stories my friends have told me. The Ore Cart pull will be the source of some great stories and memories next year!

5. Winter Carnival

Now this event is another popular schoolwide event that I've heard ton's of people talk about. Everyone from first timers to ski bums will go and how cool would it be to help take over an entire mountain with all of your friends and school mates. You're bound to run into lots of friends and see many familiar faces and all while enjoying a good day on the mountain and lunch much cheaper than getting a normal day pass.

6.Go on an ORC trip

Colorado is one of the best places to experience the great outdoors any time of the year and CSM's ORC staff puts together great trips and experiences for those that want to experience and learn more about the wilderness. Whether it's snowshoeing, back country skiing, or a climbing trip you're sure to learn something new and meet some great new people. I always enjoy the outdoors and meeting new people so that's why this one is on the list.

7. Go to more sports events

Even though Mines is a small school, we tend to actually do pretty well in sports. In high school sporting events were always a fun place to bond from cheering on friends and getting rowdy. A lot of my graduated friends, especially from other bigger schools, always talk about how much fun their homecoming games and rivalry games were. I've been to a few games of basketball, volleyball, and football here and there but I've also missed some big ones that had everyone talking. Time to get more school spirit and show some support!

8. Go to a Mines Little Theatre production

I've haven't been in many plays myself but my sister has been in several of her high school plays and I have many friends from high school and some at Mines that are part of the drama squad. Now even though i'm not a big drama person I can't think of a play I've been to that I didn't like but I've missed some shows that I've been invited to that I heard were fantastic. Since I haven't been to a Mines Little Theatre performance while I've been at Mines, this year I will, and who knows, maybe I'll even tryout for one.

9. Visit all of the breweries in Golden

Now even though Golden is home to Coors, it is also home to a handful of other small breweries. There's not much that's better than sharing a few cold ones with some friends to unwind and when you go to a school like Mines there's a lot of stress to get over so why not explore the town one beer at a time. Time to find the best brew in Golden!

10. Have something in High Grade, the school's annual student art showcase

Now not all of my goals for my victory lap are just going to more places, but also to work on my own skills. Most people wouldn't think that an Engineering student is very artistic but Mines actually has lots of artistic students. Art in all forms can be very helpful to relieve stress and there are many mediums in which I want to gain more skills. Getting your art published can be a tough task and you've got to have some impressive skills to get noticed, plus lots of patience and determination if you're the type that submits pieces to multiple publishers. So in order to push myself and work on my artistic skills my last goal is to get something published in High Grade.

Time is short and college flies by so if you're not planning on taking a Victory Lap just make sure that you get started on your college bucket list sooner than later.