9 Goals For The New School Year

9 Goals For The New School Year

Going in with goals helps me to center and keep my eyes on the prize when things get hectic.

28

The new school year often brings with it feelings of both excitement and anticipation. I'm excited to see my friends again, to move into my on-campus apartment, to be in classes that advance me for my major. I'm also anticipating the late nights, the stressful labs, the big exams, and every other part of student life which is stressful. I find that having goals gives me something to center my self on and to strive for when I feel like I have a million things going on at once. I feel that it is helpful to have goals that relate to student life as well as goals that don't because your life is more than being a student.

1. Stick to being organized.

There were so many times last year that I would block out 2-3 hours to study and I would end up spending probably 30 or 45 minutes just looking for papers or trying to find where I had placed that book or the instruction sheet. This year I'm trying to stay organized so that the 2-3 hours I block out to study can really be used for that.

2. Schedule in time to work on big projects.

Since there is no immediate due date, it can be hard to start on long term project when you have a lot due the next day. Scheduling a specific time to work on a big project can help prevent pulling an all-nighter the night before and ultimately leave you with more time for fun.

3. Staying committed to my gym time. 

My goal for the school year is to go to the gym 4 times a week. I find that I personally feel physically and mentally better when I go to the gym. Obviously this doesn't always happen during midterms and finals week but I am trying to not let myself skip during busy weeks because it is a form of self car and a good break from working.

4. Utilizing my school resources.

If I am paying money to the school and they are offering 'free' tutoring sessions, I might as well take advantage of them- it can only help, right?

5. Prioritize self care. 

It's easy to get caught up in the #hustle #grind mentality of most college students but taking 30 minutes to 1 hour each week to take an extra long shower or do a face mask or read for pleasure can do wonders for your mental state and increase your productivity throughout the week. I'll have to try it and see.

6. Keep up with friends from home.

I have some friends that have decided with me to schedule specific times to call that month. Hopefully this will avoid phone tag and 'we should catch up soon's' that don't end up happening.

7. Increase my cooking skills.

As of now, I have a VERY basic set of culinary skills. I will soon be moving into my apartment ( with friends/roommates) for the upcoming school year and I'm trying to use having an apartment as a chance to learn how to cook more of a variety of foods.

8. Get off campus at least twice a month. 

Whether just going to the coffee shop down the road or taking the train all the way into Philly, my goal is to get off campus two times a month. I am blessed to be from California but going to college on the east coast. When I graduate, I want to have an idea of what the east coast is, not just my college bubble. I got off some last year, but I hope having a set number of times will help me keep to it.

9. Have fun!

Yes, I am ultimately at school for my education and future career. That being said, no one wants to look back at their 4 years in college and only remember the stress and anxiety that comes with being a college student. I had a great, fun year last year and I hope that even as my classes kick it up a notch a remember to sometimes take a step back and enjoy the ride.