Go Slowly And Get There First, After All, We Are All Going to Die

Always feeling like you "should" is not the way to go in life. It's okay to feel lost and take your time. If you don't want to sky dive, eat live scorpions, dance on tables drunk, then you don't have to.

13

How would you live your last day on Earth? I know I would cry and then drive home to have a cat on my lap, cork open a bottle of wine, talk to my parents, give my siblings and the rest of my family a call, and proceed to drink more bottles of wine. OK, that is a little extreme, but I would be emotional for sure.

What really gets to me is how people always say that you should "seize the day" or "live every day like it is your last."

To me, that puts on a lot of pressure on myself to do things that I would not want to do in the first place. I will not perform well if I feel under pressure and have to do something right at that moment. If I was going to die and then try to manage to "seize the day" will I remember those pumped up moments where I took a chance and felt instantly good about myself? Most likely not; maybe I want to live my last moments like I would on a normal day where I am calm and know how things will go.

For the record, I don't think a lot of people at death's door think about what inspired them or got them going in life. I don't even think people ponder about their most cherished moments either. Everything just shuts down and eventually you may lose consciousness and who you are, then you are taken somewhere else. Hopefully somewhere pleasant and comforting. But hey, hell if I know.

I believe "seizing the day" can be an opportunity a person can take to experience new things in their life rather than sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for things to happen. It is true that the time of our deaths are uncertain. But what is the rush to get to the end when we are so uncertain about so many things? If you are an adrenaline junky and live off impulses and you're still doing well, good for you (but I will never understand how you do it, nor do I want to know).

The motto I live by is "go slowly and get there first."

We are all going to die, so there's no rush. Take your time, take a deep breath, call a loved one, and seize the day if you must.