To Those Who Overly Plan Their Future, Slow Down
Life Stages

No matter how much we plan, life still happens.

68

College is a period in our life that is filled extensively with expectations.

We are expected to finish school, decide on a major to study, and pretty much have a plan for everything in between. Senior year of college includes a big reality slap in the face when you are tasked with deciding on going to graduate school or if you are going to get your first job out of college. Unfortunately, that's just the beginning.

There are so many factors to consider when it comes to your future and we have had the idea ingrained in us that we should have been planning for our future as of yesterday so if we start today then we are behind. The truth is: we don't know what the future holds and that's completely okay.

I'm not suggesting to stop doing what you can to ensure you end up being the best version of yourself that you can be. I'm merely proposing that we should stop calculating every aspect of our lives. We need to stop putting a huge emphasis on things that are out of our control and that are far away from now.

The bottom line is that no matter how much planning we do or how much we calculate, the future is one that is uncertain. Things change and people change. Change is inevitable. Let the uncertainty be a place where you feel comfortable as opposed to discomfort. Being comfortable in situations in your life that involve uncertainty can propel you to do things you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Go ahead and apply for that job you were interested in, learn something new, take a difficult class, challenge yourself, and don't be afraid of the uncertainties that come along with each. One thing is for certain: you will be able to say that you tried them as opposed to wishing you had.

There are aspects of your life that are far in the distance and they can stay that way for now. You don't need to be worrying about the dream home you are going to buy one day or the kids you are going to have if it isn't happening in their near future. Sure, there is comfort in knowing those are your long-term goals but don't let these ideas in your mind dictate how you go about living right now.

Let's stop looking so far ahead into our futures and let's start embracing the here and now. Let's be proactive but not someone who has to necessarily plan every future decision out. Let's start truly living and stop worrying so much about the future.