GMO? OH NO!

GMO? OH NO!

Is quantity truly better than quality?
6

Our world is progressing and growing at a rapid rate. As the population demand rises, so does the urgency to meet growing deadlines. The food industry, in particular, has made the biggest changes, some for the better but majority for the worse. There are over 7.1 billion people in the world... yes, that's billion with a "B." Not such a small world after all, eh? So our food industry has to figure out a way to feed all those hungry mouths. The solution? Genetically modify all the foods (hence the term G-M-O) to meet the demand. But is quantity truly better than quality?

During my sophomore year of high school, our Health teacher forced us to watch the disturbing yet educational documentary "Food Inc." Director and producer Robert Kenner examines the food industry and the hidden truths the big corporations keep from the consumer. It shows the transition from family-owned farms to factories. Along with most of what we are eating comes from a GMO animal or crop, regardless of what it says on the label. Though quite hard to watch, it forces us to see the horrific truth about the corruption within the food industry. One quote in particular that kind of says it all is in the opening of the film, saying: "A deliberate veil or curtain is dropped between us and where our food is coming from”.

We as a society take for granted that we can trust that our food is safe, that just because it is technically edible everything is alright. But studies have proven GMO foods have been linked to toxic and allergic reactions, sickness, sterile and dead livestock, and damage to virtually every organ. All of the modified DNA, growth hormones and toxins begin to take a toll on your body over time. Most developed nations do not consider GMOs to be safe. In more than 60 countries around the world, including Australia, Japan and all of the countries in the European Union, there are significant restrictions or outright bans on the production and sale of GMOs.

Recently in the last few years, major changes have been happening in attempts to correct the damages we've made. The term "organic" has become a healthy way of life now. Organic farms, foods, and restaurants are popping up more and more now. As cliché and basic as it sounds, Chipotle has become one of the most popular fast-food organic promoters in the country (and also a blessing from heaven,) offering GMO-free meats, rice, vegetables and other toppings. Being such a popular restaurant with our generation it has helped kick our motivation in wanting to find cleaner options, firstly by slowly eliminating big business. Which gives us hope for the future to make our world a happier and healthier place.