Global Warming Or Just Michigan Weather?

I'm no scientist, but this quick shift in the weather is definitely bizarre.

19
Ilja

You know how when the groundhog sees his shadow, that means there are six more weeks of winter to go? Well, we all know that this is just a crazy tradition and that groundhogs have no ability whatsoever to predict the weather for us. In the few weeks since February second, at least where I am, we've had feet of snow one week and spring-like meltage the next. This, however, will never change the fact that we'll probably be stuck with snow until April (or even later).

As far north as I am (I live in the Upper Peninsula when I'm not in Kalamazoo), it's unusual to have temperatures any higher than 35 degrees Fahrenheit or be under a foot of snow in the winter. We had no snow in our yard last week and it was pushing 60. Of course, this is nothing compared to the 80-degree St. Patrick's Day we had a few years ago, especially because as I'm writing this, there is a blizzard happening outside. I'm no scientist, but this quick shift in the weather is definitely bizarre. Oddly enough, however, since it is still February, I feel more comfortable with snow on the ground. I guess I'm just more comfortable with routine and what's considered normal when it comes to weather (not to mention that I actually like snow).

While I enjoyed the "heat wave" of sorts this past week, it sort of weirded me out. I know I was definitely wondering how anyone could ever think that climate change is a lie. The climate's changing all the time in more ways than one! But that's not what this article is about, not really. Here, I'm just writing about how weird the weather is and why it matters to me. We live with weather every day, so of course it matters. Sometimes, though, I wish we had the ability to somehow control the weather. If this were possible, we'd be able to heal the planet more easily. That, and it would be a lot more convenient for people who don't like to get wet or cold. Or maybe it's the unpredictability of the weather that makes it exciting? But the unpredictability can also be frustrating... Anyway ...

Having spring when it's supposed to be winter is strange! If it stayed like that and got even warmer instead of turning around and dumping more snow on us, that might be a cause for worry. If it's like summer in a place that's supposed to have snow, there must be something wrong, right? But it's okay because this is Michigan, where the weather is freaky-weird no matter what time of year it is. Come on, Lake Superior once (well, probably more than once) had ice in it until June! What more can you expect?