Trump Will Literally Double The Global Famine Rate And You Like This Guy?

If we cut off funding to other countries setting them back we stand to risk losing trade commerce.

21
Oli Scarff Getty Images

The United States Foreign Aid budget uses less than one percent of the federal budget. However, in a poll done by Forbes Magazine, it shows that many Americans believe the Foreign Aid budget to take up a much higher margin. The United States Government Currently spends $30 billion dollars on foreign aid. With the Trump Administration's proposed budget plan, the foreign aid budget will take a 30 percent cut.

Foreign aid budgets have not seen a serious cut like this reportedly in almost 20 years. Moving to expand the defense budget, by reducing the aid budget might not be as effective as the administration would like it to be.

In the last fifty years, since foreign policy budgets have been an active part of the government budget, America has helped countless impoverished countries, helped other nations rebuild, and had a global impact on those countries looking for assistance post-war.

All of this has aided in obtaining allies, and support for the United States, as well as trading commerce and a multitude of benefits. Slashing this budget and cutting of many areas from aid is seemingly detrimental.

According to Time Magazine One instance, South Sudan which is in official famine, the first one in six years has the potential to lose federal aid from the U.S. government. Sudan has relied on this aid as their lifeline, and with the threat of that being severed, they are in danger.

The need for aid has only grown in the last nine years, yet the current administration wants to take the budget back to where it was nine years ago. This budget was already dangerously low for what the world needed at the time, and with the rapid growth of need, and destruction this type of budget fits to benefit no one.

Poverty in America is something that we seem to care a lot about yet when we want to cut funding for poverty in other countries it makes less sense. If these are still people then why do we feel more comfortable letting them starve just because they aren't living in the same continent or street corner we are?

If these budget cuts were to be enacted then it will effectively cut off 30 million people from food aid and assistance, doubling the global famine. It will cut off 11 million people from basic life-saving assistance such as food, water, and medicine. It will make 4 million HIV, malaria, and tuberculosis infections impossible to prevent, and will cut 2 million off from clean drinking water. it stands to harm our troops and development in war areas.

Since 9/11 it has been reported that military leaders in other countries have looked to the US Aid supplied by the Foreign aid department to help them when overseas. This aid has helped with getting representatives in these foreign countries, as well as additional resources and supplies our overseas troops might need. Without them, we stand to put our already at risk soldiers in even more of a risk by taking away the supplies and allies that could so greatly help them.

As someone who has personally known soldiers or family of soldiers, I am flabbergasted that we would be okay with cutting crucial funding to support those troops. If it is America first doesn't that especially mean the men and women ho lay down their lives to defend and protect the very country?

Trade commerce is a large part of how America thrives. It's also a way to reduce our debt. However, if we cut off funding to other countries setting them back we stand to risk losing trade commerce.

Since it's beginning after World War II our Foreign Aid Policies have helped rebuild many nations which in turn have contributed greatly to our trade commerce. In effect the "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" mantra between countries. Getting rid of our side of the deal can only lead to retracting on the other.

If we stop supplying this aid we can stand to lose out on trade, which will negatively affect our national debt, the very problem the Trump administration is trying to tackle by cutting the foreign funding.

The Washington Post Outlines exactly what countries receive the aid and how it fits in compared to the rest of the National Bidget. According to this Sub-Saharan areas receive more support and aid than other countries from the United States alone. In no coincidence, these countries are also those that we trade with or are in arms dealings with.

The United States has put itself at the top with economic presence, and a majority of that has to do with reaching out and dealing with other nations. After The Great Depression, America was able to get out of debt using foreign aid. By helping other countries in debt we ourselves were boosted out of one of the biggest debt holes the country has seen.

According to a study done by the College of Business in Tennessee since the 1960's America has used foreign aid to keep ourselves growing and thriving as a country. They found that trade commerce came in when aid was sent out. America is one of the biggest debts we have seen since the Great Depression. If our time as a country has shown us anything it is that we should not be stopping foreign aid, but actually increasing it.

Out of the UN America gives one of the smallest percentages of funds to foreign aid, and is one of the biggest players in world trade. The Trump Administration should be looking back into history and witnessing the effects of aid on the trade commerce and giving more funding, not cutting funding to aid.

Middle-class America relies on trade commerce to thrive so they can stay afloat, if we reduce our local federal income we increase our risks for unemployment, and put ourselves at risk for more debt. With more and more welfare families popping up the question begs to be asked, is the Trump Administration actually helping?

All in all this budget cut stands to help no one. The Trump administration claims to be helping the National Debt, but all they stand to do in this increase the debt higher than it already is.

As a young woman in America, I have already faced the struggles of a country that is on a downhill track. With high unemployment rates and cost of living at an all-time high people in my generation are already facing a harsh reality. If we are to increase our debt and decrease international approval we stand to make it even harder for ourselves and those to come after us.

No one wants to see a second Great Depression, and though it seems like that might be what's coming. As one representative said, "This plan is Dead on Arrival." As it rightly should be. These budget cuts offer a shocking look at what it means to think of "America First" and how it'st not actually helping America.