Long Term Friends and Roommates

Glitter and Tea

A Short Story

26

She showed up at his door soaking wet, bruised and covered in glitter.

"I take it you went out with Eli again tonight." He said as he let her inside.

She grimaced as she kicked off her heels.

"I don't know why I always think it'll be different. This happens EVERY time."

"Did he at least give you a ride home this time?"

She gestured to her soaking wet clothes.

"What do you think?"

He chuckled softly as she stomped towards the kitchen.

"It isn't funny Alan!"

He shrugged as he looked at her.

"I think it's pretty funny. You know he's flaky but somehow you always end up saying yes."

"It's that freaking puppy dog look. He knows it's a weakness."

Alan let out another soft chuckle. She stormed angrily toward him and pointed at his chest with her finger.

"Look here, Mister Goody Two Shoes, some of us like to have fun and..."

She paused to flip her dripping hair away from her face.

"...some of us are nicer to their friends."

Alan threw up his hands in defeat.

"Alright, alright. You win, Penny."

"You know I hate when you call me that."

"Or do you secretly love it but want me to think you hate it?"

Penny responded by sticking her tongue out at him.

"You're dripping all over the floor."

Penny looked down and shook her head like a dog coming in from the rain. Alan put his hands up to deflect some of the spray.

"Okay, Fido, why don't you go take a shower while I clean this mess up?"

Penny gave him a warm smile and disappeared down the hall. Alan let his thoughts drift as he mopped up the water. He and Penny had been friends for going on six years. They'd been roommates since senior year of college and around that time Eli had become a fixture in their lives. Eli was the opposite of Alan in pretty much every way. He was never on time, liked to party, kept a revolving door of lovers, and enjoyed being the center of attention. Eli was pretty fun to have around though and he had managed to get Penny to come out of her shell.

Alan put away the mop and popped in a Keurig tea pod. He put Penny's favorite mug underneath and waited to hear the shower turn off before pushing the start button. The tea brewed as Penny came out in her classic sweatpants and over-sized hoodie combo. Her hair was thrown up in a messy bun that looked like it was about to topple off of her head at any minute. He held out the cup to her.

"Thanks." She said before blowing over the top of the cup.

Steam drifted away momentarily as she took her first sip. She let out a pleased moan.

"This is just what I needed."

"Glad to help."

Alan replaced the pod with another and brewed himself a cup.

"Netflix?" Penny asked.

"Naturally," Alan said grabbing his cup.

The two curled up on the couch, sipping their tea. A short while later Penny was asleep on the couch, her lips twitching with what looked like a smile. Alan covered her with the throw blanket and took their cups to the kitchen. Maybe one day he'd tell her how he felt but for now, he was glad for the little moments.