Glamorizing Obesity Is As Unhealthy As Romanticizing Anorexia
Health Wellness

Glamorizing Obesity Is Just As Awful As Romanticizing Anorexia

Neither end of the spectrum is healthy, and society needs to stop promoting both.

1070

In the social-media-influenced-society that we live in today body image remains a consistent topic of concern. It is no secret that around every corner of Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or any other advertising platform there is a skinny, blonde beauty who appears as if she has never seen a cheeseburger in her life reminding us all of our every imperfection. But let's talk about the recent ad campaign from Gillette Venus that features obese models.

The fact of the matter is it is unhealthy, and a real issue in American society.

Obesity affects approximately 94 million adults in America. As time goes on, its prevalence only increases. Older generations have begun to accept this phenomenon and raise their children in the same lifestyle, therefore adding to the epidemic. Obesity leads to fatal diseases that can ultimately ruin and end lives. Hormone imbalances coincide with obesity and can lead to severe mental diseases and struggles. Through advertisements like the one endorsed by Venus, this type of lifestyle is not only validated but encouraged.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not siding with the idea of everyone looking like a bombshell either.

While it is essential we do not romanticize obesity, it is equally important that unhealthy lifestyles in order to achieve supermodel-level bodies are also not endorsed. Not only are body images like this unachievable, but very unrealistic and unhealthy.

Self-love is extremely important, but not at the detriment of your own lifestyle and health.

While there are a number of awful health issues that can inevitably lead to obesity, the sad truth lies in the fact that the majority of the American population does not suffer from these health concerns, rather an unhealthy lifestyle. It is essential that companies recognize the role they play in this major concern and do their part to influence younger generations to be healthy.

It is actually possible to promote a healthy lifestyle, contrary to popular belief.

In the social media world that we are today, it is necessary that advertising reflects the culture we want to promote. Therefore companies like Venus need to understand that with this romanticizing comes acceptance of a type of living that causes diseases humans to struggle with every day. Companies should be working to promote a healthy style of living in all aspects of their commercials and advertising platforms, therefore, leading to a better America.

Editor's note: The views expressed in this article are not intended to replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.