Giving The 55 Percent A Chance: My #Decision2016

Trading angelic white hair for a pantsuit hasn't been easy, but it's what I needed to do.

9
Slate.com

One thing you should probably know about me: I’m a Bernie Sanders supporter. I agree with his proposed policies, champion the issues he deems important for this country to focus on, and really, really like his hair. It always looks like he just stepped out of a wind tunnel, and I absolutely love it. Before you light your torches and wield your pitchforks, here's another thing you should know about me. I am, without a doubt, voting for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election. Donald Trump supporters, light and wield away; everyone else, listen up. This is important.

A June Bloomberg Politics national poll of likely voters found that barely half of those who favored Sanders -- 55 percent -- plan to vote for Clinton in the election to take place in November. 22 percent aim to Make America Great Again by voting Trump, and 18 percent favor Libertarian Gary Johnson, who I just had to Google. Surprised? I sure was. Not many people I have talked to have heard of this poll, which tells me that I need to share it with the precisely three people who will read this article. I don't think we, as a society, realize just how dire the political situation is right now. We have a feeling we’re in for it, but in this poll, we have clear numbers that prove it.

Nearly one-quarter of those feeling the Bern polled are, five months before the election, on board with voting for Trump. Trump, the guy who epitomizes white, upper-class privilege, misogyny, bigotry, and the inability to find a hairstylist who can make hair not look like corn. There's something inherently strange about this. During my initial research for this article, I stumbled upon a quote from one participant of this poll, a registered Democrat and Bernie supporter from Texas who is planning on voting for Trump as, with him, “what you see is what you get.” True...but do you like what you see? Do you see a future president of the United States?

So much scares me about this election -- the first I am able to vote for -- and what it could do to the country I was born and raised in, but the fact that only 55 percent of Bernie supporters are willing to vote for Hillary really puts me on edge. This means that 45 percent of those polled are going to take votes away from the Democratic Party by voting for a third party candidate or for a Republican, or by refusing to vote at all. Bernie or Bust-esque rationale, if you will, won’t get us anywhere, and that is what troubles me the most.

I am in the 55 percent who is, without a single doubt in my mind, will match to the polls in November to vote for Hillary Clinton. As is Bernie Sanders, who recently declared on MSNBC's Morning Joe that he would, indeed, vote for his democratic rival in the fall. “Yes,” he began, sure of his decision, “Yes, I think the issue right here is I am going to do everything I can to defeat Donald Trump. I think Trump in so many ways will be a disaster for this country if he were to be elected president." This is what runs through my mind whenever I think about the election, and is a point that every Democrat should try on.

I'm with Bernie. Bernie, now realizing that the end is near for his campaign, is with Hillary. Thus, I'm with her as well. Yes, Hillary has her flaws. So does Bernie. So does everyone. Just because Bernie is the hip grandfather we never had doesn't mean that we can't acknowledge the shortcomings of his proposals, and look at our current situation objectively. It's a two-way street; we, as supporters of one potential candidate, cannot bash the other hopeful from the same party and ignore the faults of our ideal candidate. That’s just not how it works.

Now is the time for political parties to come together and rally for what they believe the future of this country should look for; it is not the time to break apart. As Abraham Lincoln once said, “a house divided against itself cannot stand.” It's our job to go out in the fall and vote. We can't ignore that obligation, that responsibility, that privilege that democracy entrusts us with.

Bernie supporters who are not currently planning on voting Democrat in November, please put aside your preconceived notions about Hillary, whether they be regarding her reputation as an establishment politician, her emails -- if anyone even still cares about that -- or her habitual pantsuit-wearing, and really think about what your one vote could do for this country. I know that politics is a touchy subject, now and always, but remember that listening to others’ opinions and trying them on is the only way we will, as a society, ever move forward. No matter which side of politics you’re on, carefully weigh your options, make an educated decision, and no matter what, vote.

Thanks for reading, lovelies! Feedback in the comments would be much appreciated:)