17 Things Girls Should Be Able To Wear Without Being Shamed

I'll show skin and wear bold makeup whether you like it or not.

2125

In this day and age, it proves almost impossible to do and wear certain things without being judged. As a girl, I have often refrained from buying certain articles of clothing or wearing my makeup a certain way because I know I will inevitably be judged for it.

Perhaps my top is too revealing, my jeans are too ripped, or my makeup is too bold. In my opinion, we shouldn't judge people for the way they express themselves. We should learn to love others, and through that, learn to love ourselves. More often than not, I find that I am not confident enough to wear the clothes I want because I know people will have negative things to say.

Worse enough, sometimes I'm not confident enough to even buy the clothes I want, I just stare longingly at them while leaving the store empty-handed.

Here is a list of things that girls are unable to wear without being judged, a concept that needs to change.

1. Makeup.

It blows my mind that the different things people have to say when it comes to a girl's makeup. It switches from how this girl is wearing "too much makeup," to how that girl "looks like a slut for wearing red lipstick," and even how another girl "looks ugly without makeup." There is is literally no win-win situation. We're judged for wearing makeup and we're judged for not wearing makeup. Well, guess what? If I want to do a smokey eye, I will. If I want to wear red lipstick, I will. If I want to do full face makeup, I will.

2. Crop top.

Just because I'm showing my stomach doesn't mean that I'm a "slut." Who cares if I'm showing a little skin? If I love myself and my body and I want to show it off, I will. It's not my fault that people can't handle the fact my shoulders and my stomach are showing at the same time.

3. Spandex.

While I am not one of those girls, I've seen many people wear spandex to the gym or even just out at the grocery store. Just because they are tighter and more form-fitting, they aren't scandalous. Most girls pair spandex with a large t-shirt anyway. They're comfortable and cute. If you don't like them, just don't look at me. Simple enough.

4. Bikinis.

There are so many mixed views on bikinis. Most of the stigmas revolve around how they're too scandalous due to the fact that many of them, depending on the style, may show off too much skin. I think it's important to state that I should be able to show off as much skin as I want and not have to worry about being looked at in the wrong way. Why punish girls for wearing bikinis rather than creeps who are in the wrong for staring?

5. Heels.

Guess what. Heels are sexy. Heels are fun. Heels are empowering. In my case, I'm a 4'11, 90 pound girl. Sometimes I need some 4 inch heels in my life. But regardless of how tall or short a girl may be, she has the right to wear the kind of shoes she wants to.

6. Leggings.

Believe it or not, girls don't wear leggings because it might make their butt look good. They're great to wear when going to the gym, going to class, or even just lounging around. I wear leggings because they're comfortable AND they make my butt look good.

7. Hoops.

It blows my mind that there are negative connotations around hoop earrings. The jewelry that I wear on my ears should not be considered promiscuous. They're stylish and they're fun, let us girls live.

8. Sweats. 

First, we were judged for being too promiscuous. Now, we're being judged for looking too much like bums and not trying harder when it comes to my appearance. Believe it or not, I don't have to dress up and look cute every single second of every single day. Sometimes a girl needs to break and she just wants to be comfortable.

9. Thongs.

I can't believe I have to put underwear on here. A girl's underwear is... sacred. The general public typically doesn't see a girl's underwear, unless it was some random fluke.

10.  Push-up bra. 

Coming from a girl with small boobs... sometimes we just want a little "push" if you will. While I may not have big boobs, sometimes I'm in the mood to make my girl's look nice, and in all honesty, there is no harm in that.

11.  Bra.

I want to mention that I don't mean that girls are judged for wearing a bra, it's more that they get judged if their bra strap is showing. Sometimes it's really hard to pair the right bra with the type of shirt you're wearing. In the grand scheme of things. one bra strap is not going to ruin anyone's life.

12.  No bra.

You won't believe the comments I hear people make when girls decide to go bra-less. If you're a boy/man, you have no right to make any statements about girls wearing bras. Bras are uncomfortable, painful, and sometimes just unnecessary.

13.  Jean shorts. 

Sometimes I get uncomfortable wearing jean shorts out. It mostly stems from the fact that someone might think my shorts are too short, even if they're not. While it may be hard to believe, most girls don't buy super small, tight, and short short... they're uncomfortable and give the worst wedgies.

14.  Dress/skirts with a slit down the leg. 

I've said it before and I've said it again... women can wear clothes that make them feel sexy. It doesn't make them a "slut" just because it shows a couple of inches of bare thigh.

15.  Low-cut tops. 

Every now and then, we have to let the girls out. It doesn't matter if you do it because that's your style or because you want to feel sexy. Girls should be able to wear what they want without being judged or talked about behind their backs.

16.  Sheer tops. 

A see-through top everyone once in a while isn't going to do any harm. Bras are incredibly expensive and sometimes you just want to show them off.

17.  Ripped jeans.

Ripped jeans are the new trend. They're super cute and in my opinion, they're much more comfortable than regular jeans. Just because they're ripped and show traces of my leg here and there, doesn't mean it's scandalous.