Girl Power vs. Politics
Politics

The Day "Girl Power" Turned Political

Our world will use anything as an opportunity for a political statement.

20
The Day "Girl Power" Turned Political

Yes I am a woman. I believe all women are just as capable as changing the world equally as men are. I know that the reason I have the freedoms I have is because of the women who have gone before me. I understand this. I am grateful.

One thing I have discovered is how this world will use ANYTHING as an opportunity to make a political statement.

As I have grown older my perspective on "becoming a woman" has changed. Not negatively, just different. I remember being a curious and excited 10 year old at the DOVE campaign workshop, that was held at my school. I remember being so ready to "become a woman". I had thoughts of " I can't wait to do it all by myself", " If only I could take care of it all" ...I viewed this as potentially the best years of my life. I couldn't wait to go to work all day AND show I could prepare dinner. Surely my husband, whoever he might be, would think I was a wizard? I would be able to teach my daughter how to clean her bathroom and to make spaghetti, in a fun way, the way I was being taught. I was so ready to be looked up to for all I could accomplish. Because being a woman meant strength, right? Showing what all we can accomplish?

I had been taught that being a woman was a privileged. To show God's glory and witness that, we as women, were created for such a time as this.

Then I turned 16. It amazed me how the news changed my perspective. How my surroundings changed this perspective. The once "confidently strong" gender in my eyes turned into a victim. Women I saw began to capitalize on how what I once thought was a sign of strength was now a sign of "inequality". Women doing the dishes was now thought of as "sexist" and "demeaning". Being a stay-at-home mom was now a sign of weakness and not being involved. Attending to your husband now made you a "doormat" in the news. Cleaning and attending to the house was NOT women's work. Public figures I had once looked up to began to tell me " Just because your a woman doesn't mean you have to". But what if I want to?

I found a reoccurring trend that I still see today. Strength should NEVER be confused with sexism.

At the youngest of ages we are told we are princesses. We are made to believe that the world is dressing up. Life hits and we have classes. Our beliefs and way of life is now forever challenged. We are encouraged to finish our education. We fall in love. We still have that job, but now we have a kid. Do we stay at home? Do we stay in work? Your family is expecting dinner tonight. Your parents are now sick. Your youngest daughter wants to take dance. How much do babysitters even cost?It's 10pm and we've just now sat down.

And because we are women. We can do this. With a smile.

This is not politics, this is truth.

This country is full of empowering women. Full of women who want to see change and a movement.

We need to be careful. As much as this mindset is forever enhancing our gender...I think we are missing the big picture. We are created for an amazing purpose as women. We are here to show that women make it possible. We are here to show that all you really need sometimes is a hug. We are here to show that we don't give up.

A man's lack of respect for you is not necessarily because you are a woman, but because he has a problem with reality. The reality, that many men see, is that we as women are stronger than ever.

Lets bring back the desire of being a woman in the RIGHT light. Not as a plea for respect but lets insist on it. Let's not dwell on whats "expected of us" but seize it without doubt. Let's show how, as women, we can empower others to do the same. We are NOT the victim. We are world changers.

Let's begin to start teaching the younger girls again that its okay to be excited to have a family to look over one day. That it's okay to be excited to cook and design a home. That it's okay to listen to your husbands needs. That you can go to work and listen to your family. That it's awesome to be a woman. Not awesome because we are "owed respect" but because we SHOW that we deserve it.